my cham is scratching his eye?

Hi guys, I've noticed today that my veiled cham is rubbing his left eye on the vines in his enclosure... It is just a little bit red and a tad bit swollen but you can only see the redness and swelling when he looks back. I'm not exactly sure what it is, but if it's anything bad I don't want it to get worse.

Does anyone know what this might be? I'd appreciate it.

Here are some pictures, i know they’re not the greatest, but i hope it’s nothing serious on his eye.
DDCAF60E-06B0-42F8-BFA5-C7DA3BE511E3.png
26E91413-5919-4413-A697-A685D84B9E62.png
038FD1B4-7DDC-48DD-B56A-CC085210ECAD.png

Hi there, beautiful cham! I had a similar experience with my chameleon (he was rubbing his eye on branches often). What supplements are you using and what is your schedule like? What does your misting schedule look like?

Hi there, beautiful cham! I had a similar experience with my chameleon (he was rubbing his eye on branches often). What supplements are you using and what is your schedule like? What does your misting schedule look like?
Hi, thank you! I use the Rep-Cal calcium with D3 once a week, and i mist his enclosure for about 2 minutes twice a day in the morning before lights turn on and at night before lights turn off.

Hi, thank you! I use the Rep-Cal calcium with D3 once a week, and i mist his enclosure for about 2 minutes twice a day in the morning before lights turn on and at night before lights turn off.
I completely understand where you’re coming from! tagging resident veiled expert @Beman

I can say this for absolute certain - you’re using your D3 too often. You want your supplement schedule to look like like this: Rep-cal or Flukers calcium, NO D3 at every feeding. If your veiled is 6-8 months old, I’d keep feedings to every other day. use Reptivite or Repashy LoD as an all in one supplement for your D3 and multivitamin only twice a month (for example - only dust your feeders with Reptivite or Repashy LoD on the 1st and 15th of every month. This is the schedule I currently use for my chameleon).

For your misting sessions, I‘d limit them to 3-5 minites during the day, twice a day for only 2 sessions: Once in the morning, 30 minutes after lights turn on and once in the evening, 30 minutes before lights turn off.

It’d really help us HELP YOU if you were to fill out the husbandry form:

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.
Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful

I completely understand where you’re coming from! tagging resident veiled expert @Beman

I can say this for absolute certain - you’re using your D3 too often. You want your supplement schedule to look like like this: Rep-cal or Flukers calcium, NO D3 at every feeding. If your veiled is 6-8 months old, I’d keep feedings to every other day. use Reptivite or Repashy LoD as an all in one supplement for your D3 and multivitamin only twice a month (for example - only dust your feeders with Reptivite or Repashy LoD on the 1st and 15th of every month. This is the schedule I currently use for my chameleon).
I had no idea the workers from the pet store told me what I was doing was correct... I should have done my own research...
For your misting sessions, I‘d limit them to 3-5 minites during the day, twice a day for only 2 sessions: Once in the morning, 30 minutes after lights turn on and once in the evening, 30 minutes before lights turn off.
Oh okay
It’d really help us HELP YOU if you were to fill out the husbandry form:

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.
Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful
Thank you for showing me the husbandry form! I will for sure fill this out. If I were to have any questions I would do so using the form?

I had no idea the workers from the pet store told me what I was doing was correct... I should have done my own research...

Oh okay

Thank you for showing me the husbandry form! I will for sure fill this out. If I were to have any questions I would do so using the form?
Yes you can definitely ask questions through the husbandry form it's a great way to keep all the info organized.

Unfortunately a lot of the pet stores give out incorrect info. Chameleons are very sensitive and amazing animals and require precise care. Good thing is you came to the right place for help!

The best resources out there for you to dig into doing your own research are:

https://chameleonacademy.com/ and the podcast as well if you want to understand the why underneath the what

Neptune the Chameleon on YouTube if you like bite size videos

https://caskabove.com/ - that site also has a great product list with links if you need to buy lights or anything off Amazon or other sites

I live in Miami Florida, I got my cham in September, but do you know any good vets for Chams around here??

You can use this site to find options near you. Then look at their website or call them up regarding their chameleon specific experience.

https://arav.site-ym.com/search/newsearch.asp

I see Dr. Bruce in Orlando. He's fantastic and affordable but that'd be quite the drive for you.

Regarding the eye...it does look swollen. Do you have those exoterra branches in your enclosure? Some fake vines shed materials that get in chameleon eyes and irritate them. Eye issues can also be caused by incorrect supplement schedules.

A vet can assess what's going on and help flush out any foreign bodies. And give you eye drops as well.

Yes you can definitely ask questions through the husbandry form it's a great way to keep all the info organized.

Unfortunately a lot of the pet stores give out incorrect info. Chameleons are very sensitive and amazing animals and require precise care. Good thing is you came to the right place for help!

The best resources out there for you to dig into doing your own research are:

https://chameleonacademy.com/ and the podcast as well if you want to understand the why underneath the what

Neptune the Chameleon on YouTube if you like bite size videos

https://caskabove.com/ - that site also has a great product list with links if you need to buy lights or anything off Amazon or other sites
Thank you! I will definitely be looking into these.

You can use this site to find options near you. Then look at their website or call them up regarding their chameleon specific experience.

https://arav.site-ym.com/search/newsearch.asp
Thank you for sharing the website!
I see Dr. Bruce in Orlando. He's fantastic and affordable but that'd be quite the drive for you.
Dang it… I wish we could make the drive up there.
Regarding the eye...it does look swollen. Do you have those exoterra branches in your enclosure? Some fake vines shed materials that get in chameleon eyes and irritate them. Eye issues can also be caused by incorrect supplement schedules.
Yes unfortunately he does have those branches in there and i also had an incorrect supplement schedule…🤦‍♀️
Im hoping that I can get everything aranged for him in a brand new (much larger) enclosure after I move. Before the end of the year.
A vet can assess what's going on and help flush out any foreign bodies. And give you eye drops as well.
Okay! Thank you so much for helping me out!

Oh okay

Please, pleeeaase do not do that to yourself. Pet stores providing inaccurate information is so very common - especially in regard to veiled chameleons. You will absolutely want to use this form to address all concerns you might regarding your chameleon. I can also tell you for absolute certain that you’ll want to replace all your plants with live ones. Here is a list of veiled chameleon safe plants:

https://chameleonacademy.com/plants/

Yes unfortunately he does have those branches in there and i also had an incorrect supplement schedule…🤦‍♀️
Im hoping that I can get everything aranged for him in a brand new (much larger) enclosure after I move. Before the end of the year.

Great then it's the perfect time for you to do the husbandry help form and get your new enclosure shopping list together. :) Just fill that out and experienced keepers here will let you know what's priority (some things like UVB lights and supplements are urgent) and what can wait for the new year. I'd say pull the fake vines asap before he gets more stuff in them. Replace with grapevine or just more branches from outside that you hose down and dry in the sun.

I see there are some options in Miami so hopefully you get an appointment soon to get his eye looked at. Their eyes are very sensitive and tough to troubleshoot on your own.

Please, pleeeaase do not do that to yourself. Pet stores providing inaccurate information is so very common - especially in regard to veiled chameleons.
Ugh, that is so upsetting...
You would absolutely address all concerns you might have via the forum. I can also tell you for absolute certain that you’ll want to replace all your plants with live ones. Here is a list of veiled chameleon safe plants:

https://chameleonacademy.com/plants/
Thank you so much!

Also, I’m in CA so I’m not familiar with vets based in Florida :( but @jannb is really great for vet recommendations!

Great then it's the perfect time for you to do the husbandry help form and get your new enclosure shopping list together. :) Just fill that out and experienced keepers here will let you know what's priority (some things like UVB lights and supplements are urgent) and what can wait for the new year. I'd say pull the fake vines asap before he gets more stuff in them. Replace with grapevine or just more branches from outside that you hose down and dry in the sun.
Is there specific branches that can't be put in there? Just want to make sure. Can i just use branches from the tree in my backyard?
I see there are some options in Miami so hopefully you get an appointment soon to get his eye looked at. Their eyes are very sensitive and tough to troubleshoot on your own.
Thank you again! I'll be making an appointment soon.

Is there specific branches that can't be put in there? Just want to make sure. Can i just use branches from the tree in my backyard?

Thank you again! I'll be making an appointment soon.
Avoid any branches with sap. You want all shapes sizes and diameters it's good for their feet. You can use branches from your backyard. I pick up branches from my local park. I do a visual inspection for spiders or Spanish moss. Lichen is ok. Just oak tree branches that have already fallen. Hose em off, use some soap if you want, and dry in the hot Florida sun and you're set.

Avoid any branches with sap. You want all shapes sizes and diameters it's good for their feet. You can use branches from your backyard. I pick up branches from my local park. I do a visual inspection for spiders or Spanish moss. Lichen is ok. Just oak tree branches that have already fallen. Hose em off, use some soap if you want, and dry in the hot Florida sun and you're set.
Okay! Will be doing that first thing in the morning!

Back
Top Bottom