My Cham Is Going Blind in One Eye! What should I do?

My chameleon Waldo has recently recovered from a double eye infection and I noticed that his right eye is cloudy. His right eye doesn’t seem to follow the worms I put in front of him. His left eye is open and follows any food I put in front of him. I’m saving up some funds to take him to the vet again to discuss any options on what to do. I can’t attach a picture right now as I’m currently in school until 2:20.

My chameleon Waldo has recently recovered from a double eye infection and I noticed that his right eye is cloudy. His right eye doesn’t seem to follow the worms I put in front of him. His left eye is open and follows any food I put in front of him. I’m saving up some funds to take him to the vet again to discuss any options on what to do. I can’t attach a picture right now as I’m currently in school until 2:20.
And I don’t know if I should get him euthanized or not.

There’s no need to euthanize if he is just blind. If he is not in pain and moves around normal, there’s no need. He will just need a little extra care.
Have you reviewed your husbandry? Do you know where the eye infection came from?
Yes I do. He had a vitamin A deficiency which caused him to get a double eye infection. I took him to the vet, prescribed antibiotics and eye drops and also recommend that I purchase a liquid vitamin supplement, which I did and still give him the proper dosage to this day. the vet had me answer questions about my husbandry.

There’s no need to euthanize if he is just blind. If he is not in pain and moves around normal, there’s no need. He will just need a little extra care.
Have you reviewed your husbandry? Do you know where the eye infection came from?
When I’m able to take him to the vet I am going to ask if I can get another thing of eye drops in case he get another eye infection

When I’m able to take him to the vet I am going to ask if I can get another thing of eye drops in case he get another eye infection
I would think the vet would want to see him again if he gets another eye infection. It would be better to save the $$ until your cham actually needs to go to the vet.
I too don’t see any reason to euthanize unless your cham is having pain. He’ll need help with finding his food, but it may be possible for him to adapt over time.

Yes I do. He had a vitamin A deficiency which caused him to get a double eye infection. I took him to the vet, prescribed antibiotics and eye drops and also recommend that I purchase a liquid vitamin supplement, which I did and still give him the proper dosage to this day. the vet had me answer questions about my husbandry.
If it came from a deficiency and it has been corrected then he should be fine. It is possible that the infection caused blindness, but he would still be OK. I have a male that I hand feed as he has no tongue. Now he is my buddy, comes and begs for food and has no fear of me.

Here is a picture of my buddy’s blind eye
805ADAAE-4DD6-468A-9215-22C1ACDEA586.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom