My Cham Hates my Gold Fish

markettradenews

Just thought id share this one with you.
My Veiled is just over a year old, hes a very happy little chap, very friendly indeed. When he comes out he walks on my hands, down my leg and walks around the living room floor. Now when he spots the Gold Fish he lays flat, his colours go very dark and spotted and he really starts to flare up, some times he even starts hissing at the fish. After a 5 minute stare out competition with the fish my chameleon turns round and quickly walks back to me, up my leg and back onto my hands.

Now ive been told it could be the fact that the movement of the fish could, in a chameleons eyes resemble a snake, ive also know of people who have a fish tank next to the cham cage and their cham just sits and watches the fish with no bother.
Anyone every had anything like this ? I will try and get video footage of him doing this as it is very odd.

My Veiled is just over a year old, hes a very happy little chap, very friendly indeed. When he comes out he walks on my hands, down my leg and walks around the living room floor. Now when he spots the Gold Fish he lays flat, his colours go very dark and spotted and he really starts to flare up, some times he even starts hissing at the fish. After a 5 minute stare out competition with the fish my chameleon turns round and quickly walks back to me, up my leg and back onto my hands.

Now ive been told it could be the fact that the movement of the fish could, in a chameleons eyes resemble a snake, ive also know of people who have a fish tank next to the cham cage and their cham just sits and watches the fish with no bother.
Anyone every had anything like this ? I will try and get video footage of him doing this as it is very odd.

I would love to see footage of this. It sounds silly :p

My chameleon is terrified of my camera and STICKS. Of all things, STICKS. Any time I introduce a new stick (tie one into the cage) he is terrified of it and takes about 3 weeks before he actually touches it.

Anyway the golfish I assume is a large enough size to intimidate him. I doubt it is the movement that scares him, probably just the fish itself. They have weird habits of hating random things.

A stick ? lol :)
Mine hates my camera phone, but i think its the reflection.
I will get some footage, and you are right it is silly. Hopefully il get it uploaded next week.

Stuff like this makes me that much more excited to get my Cham and start trying to bond with it.

I have been planning to take over care of a 3 year old Veiled and I am supposed to be picking him up today but I haven't heard from the owners in almost a day now. Kinda worried they may have changed their mind about getting rid of him. :(
On the other hand, if they do end up keeping him then I can look back into getting a baby/jv.

If you go for the older Veiled make sure you've seen him and handled him.
If your unsure go for a younger one. Such fun watching them grow and they do recognise their owners, that is for sure.

Goldfish are scary. To your chameleon they are a brightly colored, fast moving animal they don't recognize flying through the air. I've had to move a chameleon enclosure due to the goldfish terrors. I just have 4 fancy comets between 3 and 5 inches. My Senegal would stare at them, puff up, then run and hide.

I think in general it is better for your chameleons to keep all other pets out of sight as much as possible.

ive got a few bugeyes and a fancy goldfish right across from my veiled cage..im not sure that hes ever noticed them. he hasn't been eating the past week too well though, since ive gotten a new nosy be female. they cant see each other, but he has seen me handling her a few times. hes been chilling out on the opposite side of his cage as normal, giving him a better view of my living room, where she is, I guess waiting to get another look

Mr.Pink watches the cats walk by. He doesn't flare up, but he definitely watches em like a hawk! They've never tried to get at him or anything, so I don't believe he sees them as a threat while he's in his cage.

He is afraid of cars though. We don't have much traffic at all here, but if he's outside and sees a car, he ducks down and hides.

Back
Top Bottom