My Cham hates me...

Bazzle

It's been over a month since ive messed with him aside from feeding watering an occasional cage cleaning. He still bites at me runs and hisses at me when I reach for him. After I have him out and on my hand he calms down a bit and his color changes back to normal. Should I try to handle him a little more often? He's about 4 months to 5 months old now.

One thing you can try is to open the cage door, let him crawl out of his cage and THEN try to handle him. He may be displaying territorial behavior... But some chams just have personalities like that, my Jackson's doesnt hiss at me or anything, but is definitely not eager to come to me lol.

All of my boys seem to go through a pissey stage between 4-7 months. Some grew out of it and are tolerable of handling and some still wish death to my hand lol

You can put a tree in front of his cage open the door and let him climb out on his own. When he's more comfortable then you can maybe pick him up move him to a tree in a window. This way he associates your hand with things he likes.

Honestly though he sounds like he's being chameleon lol ;)

When you stick your hand inside his enclosure you are invading "his" territory and he is protecting it. As "cantgetagoodsn" stated, it's best to let him come out on his own. That way you are not invading his space where he feels threatened.;)

Last edited:
Your not the only one! I have a Male veiled also about 4 to 6 months old and he absolutely hates my hand. i can clean the cage no problem just goes away from me. I am trying to have his cage door open and his have a plant by it as often as possible so hopefully he will come out on his own!

Hopefully being patent and trying to do what he wants pays off in the end!

my baby veiled is probably gonna grow up hating me and loving my GF. All i ever seem to do is hassle him; misting, cleaning, etc and all she ever does is feed him.

I've left his cage open for about an hour before and nothing, I even left the room for 15 minutes. Haven't tried putting a tree in front though. That sounds like a good idea. =)

Yeah i havnt had any luck with him coming out either he is a big scardy cat. I have had it open for about a house now with a big plant in front but he hasnt moved i might try puting the basking lamp toward the plant a little so maybe it will draw him out!

Just curious as to why you guys "want" your cham to come out and what will you do with the cham when it does?

I'd like for him to come out so that he can be more then an expensive piece of decoration in the house. I know they're not for handling but I'd still like to interact with him a bit to get to know the guy who lives in the corner of my bedroom. :p

I have had the same problem with my female veiled. I read a lot of the threads on here with suggestions, and I've been trying them out. The good news is that it's getting much better. :eek:) The best suggestion I read was about chams feeling threatened by anything "taller" or higher than they are. Also the fact that my cham cage has a small opening and it just freaks her out when "the hand" starts coming at her when I mess with her. So the thing that is working right now is that I sit on a stool in front of her cage and feed her with tongs and she's showing an interest in trusting me. She hasn't hissed at me in over a week, which is much better also!

I have had the same problem with my female veiled. I read a lot of the threads on here with suggestions, and I've been trying them out. The good news is that it's getting much better. :eek:) The best suggestion I read was about chams feeling threatened by anything "taller" or higher than they are. Also the fact that my cham cage has a small opening and it just freaks her out when "the hand" starts coming at her when I mess with her. So the thing that is working right now is that I sit on a stool in front of her cage and feed her with tongs and she's showing an interest in trusting me. She hasn't hissed at me in over a week, which is much better also!

Yesss! I love it, lol! My little guy doesn't run away from me anymore. :D Readin and learning.

I'd like for him to come out so that he can be more then an expensive piece of decoration in the house. I know they're not for handling but I'd still like to interact with him a bit to get to know the guy who lives in the corner of my bedroom. :p

LOL, nothing wrong with that. Might I suggest you give him a tall tree branch that goes from the floor to the ceiling to climb on once he is out. That way he has a place to go and feel safe. :)

Back
Top Bottom