My cham has very watery poop

lisalisa

Hello all i have a 4 month old veiled chameleon. As of a few days ago he wont eat anything at all. And drinking a lot of water. I notice when he poops its a long white watery poop that hangs for a while at least 6 inches from him. yesterday i had to get tissue to help him cause it just wasn't falling out. i will attach a picture. We are all social distancing so most vets are closed where i live. but i need some advice thank you

20200411_123137.jpg

It would be beneficial to fill out this form with detail. There are multiple husbandry issues that are visible but we need more information. Vets are open as it is considered an essential business.

Here is some recommended information to include when asking for help in the health clinic forum. By providing this information you will receive more accurate and beneficial responses. It might not be necessary to answer all these questions, but the more you provide the better. Please remember that even the most knowledgeable person can only guess at what your problem may be. Only an experienced reptile veterinarian who can directly examine your animal can give a true diagnosis of your chameleon's health.

Chameleon Info:

• Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:

• Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:

1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

It would be beneficial to fill out this form with detail. There are multiple husbandry issues that are visible but we need more information. Vets are open as it is considered an essential business.

Here is some recommended information to include when asking for help in the health clinic forum. By providing this information you will receive more accurate and beneficial responses. It might not be necessary to answer all these questions, but the more you provide the better. Please remember that even the most knowledgeable person can only guess at what your problem may be. Only an experienced reptile veterinarian who can directly examine your animal can give a true diagnosis of your chameleon's health.

Chameleon Info:

• Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:

• Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:

1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.
Male veiled. had him for 3 months. I NEVER handle him, he doesn't like it. He is quite grumpy. I have him in a reptibreeze screen cage. Feed him crickets, meal worms and silk worms sometimes. Gutload with kale, carrots, and collards. Dust with calcium 2x a week. Put him in the sun 3x a week. Mist his cage 3x a day yes he drinks a lot of water.

How much fruit have you been feeding him? If it is a lot then please cut back.
Your Cham looks pretty good though.

Male veiled. had him for 3 months. I NEVER handle him, he doesn't like it. He is quite grumpy. I have him in a reptibreeze screen cage. Feed him crickets, meal worms and silk worms sometimes. Gutload with kale, carrots, and collards. Dust with calcium 2x a week. Put him in the sun 3x a week. Mist his cage 3x a day yes he drinks a lot of water.
We really do need detail and all of the information asked for in the form. You are leaving very little for us to go off of. I know there are a lot of questions but all of them help us to help you.

Hi there. From your pic I can see a couple of things wrong that can have some serious effects over less time than you’d think. If you can answer all of the questions, it would be of benefit to you and your cham.

We really do need detail and all of the information asked for in the form. You are leaving very little for us to go off of. I know there are a lot of questions but all of them help us to help you.

I answered some questions. i have 1 live plant in there.. small pothos
50% humidity. daytime temp 75 to 80 degrees.. basking spot about 85-94 degrees..
he is by my sliding door which gets sun. he is on a stand 3 feet tall so he is about 6 feet high in total from the ground.

I answered some questions. i have 1 live plant in there.. small pothos
50% humidity. daytime temp 75 to 80 degrees.. basking spot about 85-94 degrees..
he is by my sliding door which gets sun. he is on a stand 3 feet tall so he is about 6 feet high in total from the ground.
Right but to properly help you it is much easier to have all info up front so I can look at every aspect. If it is easier then you can get on a computer and fill it all out. Otherwise you are going to get fractions of info none of which may account for the issue.

Examples: 85-94 is way too hot. Max should be 90. Also that is not a 4 month old baby. Humidity is too high at 50% should be 30-40% during the day. By a window that gets sun is dangerous as the glass magnifies heat. You say you feed him crickets, mealworms and silkworms sometimes... But you do not say how often or how much (mealworms should not be fed they are poor in nutrition and high in chitin). You say you dust with calcium 2x a week but you do not say what type you are using and there are more supplements that should be used depending on what you are using. You say you mist 3x a day but do not say for how long. You did not tell us if he has had a fecal test. You did not tell us about the type of lighting being used. The gutload is inadequate and should be expanded on for proper nutrition.

This makes it so that we are throwing darts in the dark trying to guess at the issue. Your giving us segments of information not the whole picture.

I am sure someone will come along and attempt to help you. But I will not guess when it comes to health issues.

Right but to properly help you it is much easier to have all info up front so I can look at every aspect. If it is easier then you can get on a computer and fill it all out. Otherwise you are going to get fractions of info none of which may account for the issue.

Examples: 85-94 is way too hot. Max should be 90. Also that is not a 4 month old baby. Humidity is too high at 50% should be 30-40% during the day. By a window that gets sun is dangerous as the glass magnifies heat. You say you feed him crickets, mealworms and silkworms sometimes... But you do not say how often or how much (mealworms should not be fed they are poor in nutrition and high in chitin). You say you dust with calcium 2x a week but you do not say what type you are using and there are more supplements that should be used depending on what you are using. You say you mist 3x a day but do not say for how long. You did not tell us if he has had a fecal test. You did not tell us about the type of lighting being used. The gutload is inadequate and should be expanded on for proper nutrition.

This makes it so that we are throwing darts in the dark trying to guess at the issue. Your giving us segments of information not the whole picture.

I am sure someone will come along and attempt to help you. But I will not guess when it comes to health issues.
i made him an appointment today thanks

I would feel really welcome afteer such pushy communications, would you?
if someone mixes means and purpose, this is how it ends IMHO

I would feel really welcome afteer such pushy communications, would you?
if someone mixes means and purpose, this is how it ends IMHO
You are entitled to you opinion sir. And I said nothing improper or rude in my response. They came here asking for help and posted a thread within the health clinic portion of the forum. I repeatedly asked for the information required to get a complete husbandry picture to try to narrow down what would be the issues causing this.

I will not give someone advice by guessing at pieces of what they choose to post.

That is how people are given incorrect advice and then the actual issue is never resolved. Most of the time the chameleon dies then leaving the keeper to feel at a loss since they asked for help.

I will not argue with you as I have been a long time supporter of your work, respected and followed many of your husbandry recommendations, and value your standing within the community.

Have a lovely rest of your day.

I agree with you on every sentence!
I just feel that sometimes, the rigorosity (applies to me same way) is sometimes a bit too much for a newbie... maybe I wrote this comment for myself more than for you to get sorted with the basics. Full respect and no offense please!

I agree with you on every sentence!
I just feel that sometimes, the rigorosity (applies to me same way) is sometimes a bit too much for a newbie... maybe I wrote this comment for myself more than for you to get sorted with the basics. Full respect and no offense please!

Very fair post petr, I was just messing with you, but this was a good way of putting it.

Back
Top Bottom