my cham has missing claws?

well it depends. are the nails gone below the skin? if so, then no he wont grow themback.
but if they jsut broke a bit, thnen they can grow back.

the male vieled i picked up from some lady on craigslist had almost everyone if his nails ripped out. he only had six claws when i first got him. some that were broken past the skin have regrown and some have not. he seems to have no problem with the lack of his claws except when he tries to crawl on my hands/ shirt.

oh and like his front foot nails are like aiming up its like kinda crooked i guess. will it go back to its original postion while he grows?

It’s really hard to get a good picture but, he has been missing a claw since I’ve gotten him. It appears a new one is growing, the top claw however seems to not be working like I described before
A58B5599-B3F7-4DFC-A191-8BAFF0E82768.jpeg
64E57387-F409-42A7-9D16-BF769EE4AA14.jpeg

Can you take a picture of the entire enclosure?

Chams will screen climb when they feel like they need more space to climb around. This can usually be resolved by providing more branches and vines, and/or providing a larger enclosure.

Unfortunately as chams get bigger their claws won't support their weight when screen climbing, or the claws get caught in the screen, and this can happen.

the size of the cage is not the issue. He’s been like that since I switched cages months ago. Plenty to climb on. Built a large cage a few months ago. But yeah maybe I should cover some of the screen.View attachment 288357

the size of the cage is not the issue. He’s been like that since I switched cages months ago. Plenty to climb on. Built a large cage a few months ago. But yeah maybe I should cover some of the screen.View attachment 288357
He needs more plants to fill in the space, and more branches for sure! Add some horizontal branches at varying heights (as high as his basking area), and then provide branches/vines diagonally between the horizontal ones to create "highways" between different areas of the cage. taking advantage of all that empty space should help keep him from screen climbing.

Are all of his lights inside the enclosure? I'm a little concerned about this because the basking lamp can pose a burn risk and the UVB light can lead to overexposure... @Beman is an expert on this

He needs more plants to fill in the space, and more branches for sure! Add some horizontal branches at varying heights (as high as his basking area), and then provide branches/vines diagonally between the horizontal ones to create "highways" between different areas of the cage. taking advantage of all that empty space should help keep him from screen climbing.

Are all of his lights inside the enclosure? I'm a little concerned about this because the basking lamp can pose a burn risk and the UVB light can lead to overexposure... @Beman is an expert on this
We discussed this and there’s a creative solution I used with laminating paper on the sides. The one spot never get over 81 degrees at the sight of the probe. There is plenty of shade. He cycles the cage but, yes the horizontal vines would be a good fit. He cannot crawl up the Aztec calendar it is to slippery for him to grasp.

Last edited:
He is currently sleeping this was a few days ago. He just has trouble with the screening is all. Nothing really else
7DD140F1-FB1A-447B-A550-DAAE738FA6A9.png

Here’s some whole

Attachments

• 32636CDC-2ACD-49D3-AA5A-6200F6BC480A.jpeg
    32636CDC-2ACD-49D3-AA5A-6200F6BC480A.jpeg
    130.4 KB · Views: 83
  • 4CEBC8A3-4737-4AFC-8F73-D311EAEB3EEB.jpeg
    4CEBC8A3-4737-4AFC-8F73-D311EAEB3EEB.jpeg
    111.5 KB · Views: 74
Back
Top Bottom