My Cham has buried Herself in her laybin

I’m not sure if this is an issue or not but my chameleon has buried herself completely In her lay bin, and I touched her tail that’s sticking out to make sure she was still alive, and thankfully she seems fine I just have no clue how she’s breathing.. the soil is safe for chameleons too it’s coconut dirt/substrate. In the picture her tail is very dark because I had to disturb her to make sure she was ok, it was light green before I touched it, I just had to be sure.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    171.8 KB · Views: 205
Coco coir is too loose to hold a proper tunnel and this is what happens. Washed play sand moistened enough to hold a good tunnel without collapse is preferred. Is she able to get out if she wants or is she stuck and needs help?

Coco coir is too loose to hold a proper tunnel and this is what happens. Washed play sand moistened enough to hold a good tunnel without collapse is preferred. Is she able to get out if she wants or is she stuck and needs help?

When I tapped her tail I saw her move under the dirt, she seemed comfortable before I had to disturb her. And thank you, do you think I should change her substrate now?

Yeah I do not know how safe that is with her being buried.... I kinda think I would air on the side of caution there... Lay bin is not set up right.

@Motherlode Chameleon Jeremy can you look at the OP post... Cham has dug into the coco fiber is this safe or should the OP intervene and get her out?

Nevermind OP dug her out. Thank you anyways :)

Last edited:
I don’t know. This is a tough one. I would prepare a lay bin with sand and have it on stand by. Stella had her tunnel collapse on her and I did dig her out. It was late afternoon and she went to her basking branch. In the morning she went right back to digging, but I was worried.

I don’t know. This is a tough one. I would prepare a lay bin with sand and have it on stand by. Stella had her tunnel collapse on her and I did dig her out. It was late afternoon and she went to her basking branch. In the morning she went right back to digging, but I was worried.
Yeah seems a little too iffy to me. Personally I would dig her out and pull the bin and replace with the correct moist playsand. I tagged Jeremy he has a ton of experience. Hopefully since it shows he is online he will see the alert. I would hate for something bad to happen.

Back
Top Bottom