My Cage: Please give feedback or any advice

xxcham

9FBBA7AF-72E9-4C1E-9E67-A05955AAB779.jpeg
D1794744-FE94-43B4-84C7-5C5EA06BA977.jpeg

I just (almost) finished my cage. The cage is 2x2x4. I have a bigger plant coming for the bottom (there’s a mini one there already to fill in space while i wait for the bigger one to come) and then I have 2 more vines coming but they both got delayed (again ?). I also will be getting a table for the cage to go on because I know chameleons don’t like to be on the floor but that is still being shipped and is taking forever to come. There still needs to be a little touching up like putting rocks on all the plants I have in the cage. I just wanted to share these images to see if everything is correct before I get the chameleon. This cage is for a male veiled chameleon. If you guys want me to fill out any of the forms that I see a lot on this site to see if my care/husbandry is right i’ll be happy to fill one out if you want to post it on this thread (it might take me a while to fill out though). Thanks for any feedback.

You’ll want to get rid of the plastic plants ASAP. Veiled eat their plants and have been known to eat a fake leaf and get impacted. I suggest hanging them on the outside of the enclosure to give him more sense of privacy. Is that pothos real or fake? If fake, get a live one...they are great...grow fast, long vines to wrap around branches, big leaves to mist for drinking and nice shaded areas to escape the heat and hide. You can also very easily make more pothos plants from a clipping to really fill things out.

You’ll want to get rid of the plastic plants ASAP. Veiled eat their plants and have been known to eat a fake leaf and get impacted. I suggest hanging them on the outside of the enclosure to give him more sense of privacy. Is that pothos real or fake? If fake, get a live one...they are great...grow fast, long vines to wrap around branches, big leaves to mist for drinking and nice shaded areas to escape the heat and hide. You can also very easily make more pothos plants from a clipping to really fill things out.
I have all live plants but fake vines. Is that okay?

Hiya! You might want to add more vertical and horizontal branches and then twist the pothos or ivy that are hanging down around the branches so they go all throughout the cage and provide more things to grip and areas to hide in. I see you have a probe and digital thermometer - is that measuring ambient temps? It's good to have a probe and thermometer at the basking branch as well and ensure its around ~80 degrees to prevent any thermal burns, which are common for Vieled males with their casques.

With the way you're hanging the vines you may see some warping or damage to the screen, unless you create a mount to distribute the weight off the screen and onto the frame.

I think I see you may have a feeder cup down near the banana croton - it's good to have those at eye level at the basking branch.

Hiya! You might want to add more vertical and horizontal branches and then twist the pothos or ivy that are hanging down around the branches so they go all throughout the cage and provide more things to grip and areas to hide in. I see you have a probe and digital thermometer - is that measuring ambient temps? It's good to have a probe and thermometer at the basking branch as well and ensure its around ~80 degrees to prevent any thermal burns, which are common for Vieled males with their casques.

With the way you're hanging the vines you may see some warping or damage to the screen, unless you create a mount to distribute the weight off the screen and onto the frame.

I think I see you may have a feeder cup down near the banana croton - it's good to have those at eye level at the basking branch.
the probe is for humidity but i have temperature guns to measure the temps because i’ve heard that tempature guns are more accurate. i moved the feeder cup up! thanks so much!

the probe is for humidity but i have temperature guns to measure the temps because i’ve heard that tempature guns are more accurate. i moved the feeder cup up! thanks so much!

Temp guns only measure surface temp, not air temp. This isn't my area of expertise but I was using a temp gun only and my Cham got thermal burns since the air around him was hotter than I actually thought since it was hotter than the surface temp of the branch I was checking. Does that make sense? @Beman did I get that right?

Temp guns only measure surface temp, not air temp. This isn't my area of expertise but I was using a temp gun only and my Cham got thermal burns since the air around him was hotter than I actually thought since it was hotter than the surface temp of the branch I was checking. Does that make sense? @Beman did I get that right?
Yes, I have a temp gun but rarely use it. Surface temp is very different. If you go outside on a 60 degree sunny day and measure the ambient vs using a temp gun on the hood of your car your going to get very different temps. You want a probe tied in on the basking branch to know exact ambient temps at branch level. If it shows 80 then where they rise up higher will be warmer by a degree or two IME.

View attachment 276580
i know screen climbing is normal i’m just wondering if he might get burnt?
@bbyoda @Beman @MissSkittles
If he goes under the basking fixture then he could. Right now he is under the UVB... Not good if he stays there for like hours because of the UVI levels below the bulb but will not burn him.

He is trying to get high. This is normal with babies as it makes them feel safer the higher they are.

@xxcham Here is the help form if you want a review. :) just be detailed in your responses so we can give you the most feedback.

Chameleon Info:

• Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:

• Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:

1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

Back
Top Bottom