My cage and drain system.

biffle

Avid Member
I started with the DIY cages.com SC4 jumbo.

The stand was made from Birch 3/4" Plywood.
full

I wanted to hide the tree's pot inside of the stand. It cleans up the bottom of the cage.
full

The pot is hidden!
full

I added the drainage bucket below the tree pot.
full

I have a black bowl to catch the water draining from the tree pot.
full

I mounted the Pot slightly lower than the bottom of the cage so it would bend the bottom into a bowl and direct the water towards the pot. I tested the drip system with the Little dripper opened up to 2 drips per second. I didn't have any leeks!
full

I'm going to test it out for a few weeks before I paint and put the doors on the stand.
full

Blu's test run of the new cage has him stressed out. I'm sure he will settle in
full

Last edited by a moderator:
Very nicely done and great concept! I still would have some more foilage in there though! other wise it looks fantastic!

i like the idea but a lot of my excess water actually dripps off the leaves off to the side of the pot. if i were you (depending on how this works for you) id consider drilling some holes around it as well to help catch the excess stuff or just put a few risers under the planter lip so water can drip in around the edge.. if that makes sense..

Thank you! and I agree. I have the rest of the foliage still in his old cage. I need to get it moved over.

what is your chams locale? He is stunning. I love purple and I havent really seen to many with purple bars.

i like the idea but a lot of my excess water actually dripps off the leaves off to the side of the pot. if i were you (depending on how this works for you) id consider drilling some holes around it as well to help catch the excess stuff or just put a few risers under the planter lip so water can drip in around the edge.. if that makes sense..

The excess water running off the leaves that hits the white cage bottom is flowing toward the center and running down the outside of the pot into the black pan. It seems to be working so far.

might want to consider covering the dirt with some large rocks. :D

Yeah I'm running out to the local aquarium shop to pick up the river rocks with the soft edges. My reptile shop only had the ones with the jagged edges.
I've had bad visions in my head of him hurting his tongue on a jagged rock.

Back
Top Bottom