My Brenda is sleeping in the day.

lillottie

I've had her about a month now and I've had no troubles at all she looks healthy, shed for the first time a few days ago, but today I went to look a her and she had her eyes closed during the day :confused: I know thats a bad thing but she hasn't had any problems but this. She woke up instantly but a little later she was doing the same. I shouted my mum to look and she woke up then too. I don't know if it's serious or not!

Please help

Lottie

Please fill out as much of this as possible so that the experienced members here on the Forums will be able to help you better.

How to ask for help

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here is some recommended information to include when asking for help in the health clinic forum. By giving this info in your post, you will receive more accurate and beneficial responses. It might not be necessary to include all this info, but the more you do include the better. Please remember that even the most knowledgeable person can only guess at what your problem may be. Only an experienced reptile vet who can directly examine your animal can give a true diagnostic of your chameleon's health.

Cage Info:
Cage Type - What kind of cage are you using? What is the size?
Lighting - What kind of lighting are you using? How long do you keep the lights on during the day?
Temperature - What temperature range have you created? Basking spot temp? What is the temperature at night?
Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels?
Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
Location - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas?

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon.
Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What kind of schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
Supplements - What are you dusting your feeders with and what kind of schedule do you use?
Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings.
History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.
Current Problem - The current problem that you are concerned about.

Pictures can really help as well.

Cage Type - I'm using exoterra and the size is 45 x 45 x 60 cm
Lighting -lighting system contains a fixture with reflector for the Exo Terra Repti Glo line of compact fluorescent bulbs. its on from 8 in the morning to 10 at night
Temperature - 26 to 28 centergrade in the day and 20-22 at night
Humidity - humidity is around 60
Plants - ficus plant
Location - Middle of a room, no drafts

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - veiled chemeleon female and around 5 month old
Feeding - crickets and locusts waxworms as a treat every once in a while about 8-10 a day 6-7 o clock. cricket diet stuff making pellets. she also eats water cress occasionally.
Supplements - Repton insect dusting supplements every other day.
Watering - drip system every morning and spray regulary
History - no problems at all
Current Problem - she keeps closing her eyes in the day

You are using a CF (compact flourescent bulb). Some of these bulbs are known to cause blindness in chams .

See http://www.uvguide.co.uk/index.htm

Your cham may be closing its eyes because it is being blinded. Try turning off the UVB CF bulb for a few days and see if that helps. I would definitelt replace it with a linear tube .. preferably a Zoomed Reptisun 5.0.

The cage you have her in is going to be way too small for a female Veiled very soon. Being that the cage is not very tall, the compact UVB is very well doing more damage to her eyes then one in a taller cage would do. The compact UVb bulbs are causing many problems and long term eye issues in chameleons equals a death sentence.

hasn't done it since
Is that after you removed the compact UV bulb?

Just remember to replace the compact one with a linear tube bulb as was mentioned above. She must still have a UV bulb.

its a glass cage. Shes started doing it alot again. She does it under the basking light aswell.

And she did it while she was out of her cage.

That is because there is obviously some kind of damage to her eyes and we have all seen enough of it caused by the compact UVB. Please remove it and have only the basking lamp on until you can get a linear flourescent tube. Do you have a Vet? You may need one.

yes remove the compact for sure get a reptisun 5.0-10.0 ..and i would definetly get her OUT of the GLASS cage... and into a screen cage.. Glass is ok for babys but at 5 months id say its time to switch..lllreptile.com sells screen cages at a reasonable price...

I went to the vets and she had ssinusitus nothing to do with the lights
shes had mouth drops for a week now and is alot happier :]

the vet said she's a healthy specimin and the set up is fine

Glad you went to the Vet! BUT-these lights are proven to do eye damage. Also, I really recommend a larger cage. Sometimes Vets are as bad as petstores, especially since most do not even see alot of chameleons. Happy she seems better.

Glad everything went well. They can start laying infertile clutches at 4-5 months, so be sure to have a laying container in there so that she can dig if she needs to. It is sometimes easy to miss the signs and they can become eggbound and die. The cage you have her in I doubt is big enough to accomodate any kind of container that would be large enough. I kept my Veileds in bigger cages than what you have when they were 2 months old. The lights are proven to be dangerous. I am not trying to argue with you, but doubt that your Vet is an expert if he is giving you this advice. Sometimes the best intentioned people give bad advice, especially if they do not keep chameleons themselves.

Your Cham will likely cont to close it's eyes with any bright light. you can think of it like getting sunburn or the eyes. If it is sinusitis, it would be odd that you can turn off the light and it would appear to make the cham better. UVB tube lights have been researched and have shown none of the problems that have been showing up with the compact bulbs. It just maybe safer to go with a tube light rather than take a chance at injury.

Your cham may also have a sinusitis problem in addition to the eye thing. All glass enclosures tend to build up humidity due to the lack of air circulation. this sets up situations which may lead to URIs (upper respiratory infections) which the sinusitis maybe the first clue...

If you do decide to follow your vets advice, just keep what the forum has suggested in the back of you mind for now...if your cham doesn't start to improve in the next few days, you really need to make some changes to your set up.

Hope your Cham starts to do better
Good Luck

OPI:eek:

The vets advice has worked she hasnt shut her eyes in a week now shes alot my enthuiastic :]

she doesn't seem unhappy at all

we've given her a container to lay in already and she likes it shes started digging already

thanks alot everyone
x

Back
Top Bottom