My boy seems off :(

NessaH8185

My 2 year old male ambilobe Panther has been seeming kinda weird lately, maybe for a month or so. He is still eating, still shedding, his waste looks ok. He just doesn't seem very active, and his colors aren't as bright or vivid as they used to be. He gets crickets which are loaded and dusted properly, and every now and then also gets Dubia roaches or 3-horned worms. He lays down on his vine a lot, too. Anyone know what this might be??

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    171.4 KB · Views: 144
His eye does seem a little closed and back left leg looks swollen. Possible, I said possible, gout in leg from hornworms. His eye could anything from blinking, time of day. UVB, hatred of cameras, etc...hard to say. Other than that, he looks pretty good. You might want to fill out the ask for help questionaire. There might be a clue in there for us. Pretty panther though.

Ok thank you! He hasn't had the hornworms in over a month, just got some a couple days ago because he loves them. I will do the questionnaire. Yea his eyes seem ok, think it's the photo...that's what has me worried, is that everything seems fine except his activity and his coloring.

Get him some of that natural outdoor FL sunlight, check UVB bulb is still good, make sure his supplements aren't out of date, try some silkworms, mantids, moths, roaches, Blue Bottle Flies (something to vary his diet and encourage eating). New foods always encourage striking response. He might be getting ready to shed or just bored. Hopefully, he is just bored.

Your Chameleon - male ambilobe Panther, just turned 2, had him since he was 5 weeks old!
Handling - not very often...every couple weeks, when he wants to come out or shows interest in me.
Feeding - He eats every other day, usually large crickets about 7 or 8. I also get Dubia roaches & hornworms on occasion. He no longer likes Phoenix worms for some reason but does like the flies that they create. the crickets are gut loaded with the orange cube diet, but also different veggies. His appetite is still good
Supplements - i use the rep-cal herptivite multivitamins every 2 weeks, the zoo-med repti calcium without d3 for every feeding except when using other supplement, and the rep-cal phosphorus-free calcium with d3 once every other week (the week when I don't do the multi)
Watering - i use only bottle reverse osmosis water, on a monsoon rs400 automatic mister that goes about 20 times a day for about 15-30 seconds. It does get dry in between mistings. He will also drink directly from a spray bottle I have when I open his cage. If he sees the bottle and is thirsty he comes right up and I spray directly in his mouth..he loves it!
Fecal Description - his feces is dark brown, a little chunky, and urate is white
History - nit much for history. He has been amazing since the day I got him! He just had a successful shed about a week ago

Cage Info:
Cage Type - all screen cage, 2'x2'x4'
Lighting - I have a mega Ray mercury vapor lamp bulb, 100W, & a blue daylight bulb 60W. It's on a 12 hour day cycle, and 12 hour night. I did recently have to use a different brand for the UVA/UVB, which was called blue spotted and was a 100W Mercury bulb, but when it went out after just a couple months I replaced with the another mega Ray which is what I've used for a long time. Wonder if that bulb was just crap
Temperature - the cage floor is at 75, his basking area is usually about 87. Lowest overnight is 75. I have a temp gauge in the cage but also check with a temp gun on occasion.
Humidity - humidity never gets below 40%, usually around 50 or 60 after misting. The automatic mister & live plants help to maintain humidity. Plus I live in south Florida
Plants - Yes I have a pothos, and an umbrella (scheffelera). If one dies I sometimes get another kind, but always a non toxic safe plant, but these 2 kinds have been in there for a few months now.
Placement - it's located in the corner of my dining room(which we never used). Very low traffic area, no fans or vents. The entire cage is on a cabinet that's about 3 feet tall, and the top of the cage is about 2 feet from the ceiling
Location - I'm located in southeast Florida

Thank you junglefries! Yea his appetite has been great, and I just put in a new bulb on Thursday. He finished a shed last week, too. He might just be bored. I get him sun as much as possible, but we are in rainy season right now so it hasn't been much lately. I just worry that something is wrong because he just seems lazy...and normally changes his colors more and even his green will be more vibrant than it is now. He just seems a little pale or something

He may just be bored or going thru a phase, as some do. A bad UVB can put them off for a while, even after removing and fixing it. Just kinda at a loss. I would let him outside, even in the rain and feed some variety. It just might perk him up.

Back
Top Bottom