79" wide , 39" high and 31" deep
Would like to hear your opinions :)
canon 001.JPG
canon 009.JPG
canon 017.JPG
canon 046.JPG
canon 058.JPG
canon 018.JPG

I like it! Would love to know the details of how you made everything, but you have this posted in the wrong forum section. Should be under "other pets"

The structures are made of styrofoam and than a few layers of tile glue and child save colour .

Oh yes my bad , maybe a moderator can move this to the right place ? :)

Need to hire you to design my tegu enclosure lol. I'm experienced with the planted vivs, but not with the cool artistic Styrofoam and all that. Nice job

Step one ditch the sand. Even "calci sand" will build up in the gut over time. Those little guys will lick everything, and get a tongue full of sand each time.

You can buy reptile carpet that looks and feels like sand. But substrate for babies is a no no.

Step one ditch the sand. Even "calci sand" will build up in the gut over time. Those little guys will lick everything, and get a tongue full of sand each time.

You can buy reptile carpet that looks and feels like sand. But substrate for babies is a no no.

They are actually adult dwarf bearded dragons .
I think about ditching the sand but in Germany every bearded dragon owner uses a sand clay mixture so they can dig into the ground

I was actually wondering about that. I'm not a beardie keeper or have any experience, but I know sand is generally not great. Playsand seems to be the best bet usually. Why not make a bioactive mix with soil? I'm not sure of the best mix for a beardie, but there's tons of info online and it'll benefit tremendously.

They are actually adult dwarf bearded dragons .
I think about ditching the sand but in Germany every bearded dragon owner uses a sand clay mixture so they can dig into the ground

If you had a 98% of not getting impacation, thats 2 beardies out of every 100.

I stick with the newpaper and ground up newspaper stuff. I also gave mine a peatmoss/coconut fiber bin for them to play in. My logic is, if its at least biodegradable, there is a higher chance of coming out the other end.

Unused a washed playsand produced by Kings that I knew passed through beardies and chameleons without causing impaction. One of my beardies did show some sand in its stomach when it was stated but the sand passed through (as I knew it would) .

How big/long do these little ones get?

I think true impaction in captivity has to do with poor husbandry, not necessarily the substrate itself. Lack of minerals and vitamins with poor hydration can lead to substrate consumption. If the idea of sand often causing impaction were true, how do reptiles survive in the deserts of the world? I'm not a fan of some of the man-made sand substrates out there, but I can't stand a bare cage floor, or newspaper. Bioactive setups are far superior any one substrate. This enclosure looks great, with some bioactivity, it would be even better.

The substrate in the habitat a reptile comes from it can likely deal with...the substrates we provide are different and that is part of the problem with impactions occurring IMHO.

I used paper towels when my beardie was a baby and juvenile but I've used sand ever since he got some size to him - the quartz Repti-sand is what I use. Similar to play sand but a bit finer. I think you are fine, as long as they are not diving into the sand all the time grabbing crickets or whatever and getting mouthfuls. While it's true they live on sand/dirt mixtures in nature, they are generally more compacted than the sand products we put in their enclosures. That's why I always hand feed or feed veggies from a large dish. Probably the very best would be a fine sand/dirt/clay mixture as others mentioned, for a most natural substrate.

Last edited:
The ground is actually kinda hard so they can dip into the ground without it falling down on them . So it's hard enough that they don't have the mouth full of sand whir hunting :)

Back
Top Bottom