my baby veiled cham is scared of me.

Veiledcham101

Hi i tried putting in some crickets inside my baby veiled chameleon's cage today and as soon as i open the door he jumped off the branches and hit himself. I'm sure his ok because right after i closed his door he started to climb to the top again very fast. my question is how can i get his trust so he won't be scared of me every time i try to open his door or try holding him?

How long have you had him? Chameleons get very stressed very easily. It's easier just to not hold them. Like other reptiles some warm up others don't. If you just got it Id let him be for a while an get situated and then try, maybe take a while to get used to you.

What's been working for me is I walk real slow towards his tank and talk to him. I keep my head down and not look at him much. I open his cage and the minute he starts to run and hide I step back, or turn my back to him and then he stops. I slowly reach in with the tongs and put his crickets on his branches and leaves closest to him and then close the door and step away.

I did this today with him and he actually stayed in the front side of the tank where he normally hides in the back. I was giving my bearded dragon drips of water and turned around and noticed he was watching me so I dripped some water over his cage and he was actually receptive to it.

So I guess my advise is just very slow baby steps and he will come around.

Back
Top Bottom