My babies moving to the freerange

jpowell86

Chameleon Enthusiast
I can't believe that some of my baby melleri are big enough to go to the freerange. I have had them all in separate 24x24x48 reptibreeze since November of last year. I was weighing them all today and realized it was time for some of them. I have a small number that are much large than the others. So those four got to test the waters this morning in their new home.

Very happy that they are all rocking and rolling but I am also a little sad that they aren't tiny little things anymore. Babies are so much fun.

@Nursemaia, @scchameleon, @Extensionofgreen

IMAG1001.jpg

IMAG0984.jpg

IMAG0983.jpg

IMAG0999.jpg

IMAG0978.jpg

IMAG0992.jpg

Are you placing them with the older adults? Are they big enough for that? Or do they have their own free range? I am so happy they are doing well for you guys for everyone who got the babies and of course @jpowell86. They look so gorgeous. And it should help us learn so much in long run ^^

Are you placing them with the older adults? Are they big enough for that? Or do they have their own free range? I am so happy they are doing well for you guys for everyone who got the babies and of course @jpowell86. They look so gorgeous. And it should help us learn so much in long run ^^

Thanks, Andee! I just love them.

They are going to be with the adults. They are not at risk of being eaten if that is your concern. They are much too large for that. It's fascinating watching the way melleri act in a communal situation. The younger ones actually cling to the largest. It's like they know that they are safer there. The young ones will actually sit under the branch that largest one is on. The dominant female melleri is the one you have to keep an eye out on.

But I have many of my normal groups separated due to it being breeding time for them. They are all showing breeding colors and the large females are getting territorial. I have a female, Janet(aptly named because Janet(@jajeanpierre) picked her up for me) that will come down to the middle and shake the branches like a monkey. She makes sure the others know. It is also a fantastic way of getting an idea of sex. Because when she does this, some of them flee and some don't. My guess is that the females are the ones that flee.

They are just so fascinating. If you want a chameleon group that shows complex social ranking and just overall intelligence, then melleri are it. They are thinkers that is for sure. I am amazed at how they maneuver and react to one another.

Sorry, Ryan. But I sure will help you in the future. You would be a great candidate for melleri....and you would love them.
Well you guys keep telling me that and talking about them so now you have got me interested. I would love a pair in the future. The way you guys talk about them I can't help but want to see it all for myself.

They are going to be with the adults. They are not at risk of being eaten if that is your concern. They are much too large for that. It's fascinating watching the way melleri act in a communal situation. The younger ones actually cling to the largest. It's like they know that they are safer there. The young ones will actually sit under the branch that largest one is on. The dominant female melleri is the one you have to keep an eye out on.

But I have many of my normal groups separated due to it being breeding time for them. They are all showing breeding colors and the large females are getting territorial. I have a female, Janet(aptly named because Janet(@jajeanpierre) picked her up for me) that will come down to the middle and shake the branches like a monkey. She makes sure the others know. It is also a fantastic way of getting an idea of sex. Because when she does this, some of them flee and some don't. My guess is that the females are the ones that flee.

They are just so fascinating. If you want a chameleon group that shows complex social ranking and just overall intelligence, then melleri are it. They are thinkers that is for sure. I am amazed at how they maneuver and react to one another.

I know you wouldn't put them in if you were worried about the adults eating them. I was just interested at what size that no longer becomes a problem. You take care of your mellers as well as I take care of any of my rescues. I would actually trust to care of my pets. Which I know is a huge compliment, I trust very few sadly. XD I love the few communal species of chameleons. They are absolutely amazing.

I know you wouldn't put them in if you were worried about the adults eating them. I was just interested at what size that no longer becomes a problem. You take care of your mellers as well as I take care of any of my rescues. I would actually trust to care of my pets. Which I know is a huge compliment, I trust very few sadly. XD I love the few communal species of chameleons. They are absolutely amazing.

That's very kind of you! Communal species are amazing!

Joel, I would love to see a video of them interacting like this if you ever had time. That must be amazing to watch :).

Joel, I would love to see a video of them interacting like this if you ever had time. That must be amazing to watch :).

I think it would be awesome if people could just log into my cameras to watch. But that is not possible with the NEST system I have right now. But I could be like the cameras letting you watch the giraffe baby being born...except cooler. LOL.

Back
Top Bottom