Music?

CamrynTheCham22

Avid Member
I sometimes play music in the same room that my chameleon is housed in. It has crossed my mind before. I am guessing they can feel the vibrations from the music? I don't blast it, but I was wondering if the music might make them uncomfortable or something. Anyone got any ideas?

I have watched her on many different tunes and vibrations, and she doesn't seem to have too much of a response . . . but I am still a bit wary about it. I have done all of the normal tasks with the music on; hand-feeding, cleaning, misting, and she doesn't have an issue. I think it is okay, but I will make sure to stay away from high volumes just in case.

I once saw a scene in a movie many years ago, where parents discover that their baby is deaf because it didn't cry when a fire truck went by in a parade, and other babies in the crowd cried.
It reminded me of something that happened when I was adjusting my stereo in my living room, where my own veiled chameleon's cage was. I accidentally pressed 'play' when the speakers were aimed right at me from a foot away, and the volume was cranked way up. There was a huge blast of sound and air, a building-shaking low frequency right at what the limit of the speakers could produce, only for 1 or 2 seconds before I quickly turned down the volume. My chameleon looked like he didn't notice it at all, totally unimpressed. He was sitting on a rubber vine, so maybe that isolated him from the 'sound'/vibration.
Recently though, I put on some Beach Boys music to play, and he really seemed to like it. Anecdotally, my chameleon seems to put on colors that please me, at least, pleasant blues and greens that I really like, when I put on music or play the piano. Yes, I know they have no external or middle ears. However I have also read that the naturalist who first scientifically described Chameleons reported that they have 'a good sense of hearing' or something like that, though there was no explanation for that. I can't explain any of it.

I once saw a scene in a movie many years ago, where parents discover that their baby is deaf because it didn't cry when a fire truck went by in a parade, and other babies in the crowd cried.
It reminded me of something that happened when I was adjusting my stereo in my living room, where my own veiled chameleon's cage was. I accidentally pressed 'play' when the speakers were aimed right at me from a foot away, and the volume was cranked way up. There was a huge blast of sound and air, a building-shaking low frequency right at what the limit of the speakers could produce, only for 1 or 2 seconds before I quickly turned down the volume. My chameleon looked like he didn't notice it at all, totally unimpressed. He was sitting on a rubber vine, so maybe that isolated him from the 'sound'/vibration.
Recently though, I put on some Beach Boys music to play, and he really seemed to like it. Anecdotally, my chameleon seems to put on colors that please me, at least, pleasant blues and greens that I really like, when I put on music or play the piano. Yes, I know they have no external or middle ears. However I have also read that the naturalist who first scientifically described Chameleons reported that they have 'a good sense of hearing' or something like that, though there was no explanation for that. I can't explain any of it.
Lol I don't know whether chams will enjoy anything but i think that chameleons hear things below the sound of human voices. Like their hearing and ours are different? I think I read that somewhere...

No external ear so they can hear very low frequency sounds.

Play your music with no worries. Just don't go blasting a sub-woofer that rattles windows and makes your neighbors cat freak out. lol

I play guitar and my rig is in the same room as my cham. Never seen any reaction from him when playing loud. He's usually too busy keeping an eye on me anyway when I'm in "his" room... aka my make shift studio

From what I've read, you should be fine playing music around your cham.
Whenever I take my cham outside, my neighbors dogs bark and bark at us the whole time. I'm annoyed by this is general but was really mad thinking they were scaring my cham until I remembered that he couldn't really hear them and he had no reaction at all. So I went back to being merely annoyed.

Back
Top Bottom