mushrooms growing in soil

jamjam

Established Member
Today I had realized these small things growing from the soil of my schefflera at first thought maybe some sort of flower to pulled them out to realize they were small mushrooms. Has anyone ever experience this? What are some precautions I should take. I don't use my schefflera with my cham yet it's too big for his baby cage.

Attachments

• IMG_20140526_122729.jpg
    IMG_20140526_122729.jpg
    240.6 KB · Views: 207
  • IMG_20140526_122939.jpg
    IMG_20140526_122939.jpg
    221.1 KB · Views: 143
your soil is not draining adequately. I'd re-pot it with a fresh 50/50 mixture of good organic soil and vermiculite. 1" of sand on the bottom, and 1.5" to 2" of sand on top. cover everything w/ river rock.

it must be the year for it ?? - I found one came out of a log :eek: that has a dripper on one end - it shot out overnight - I just tossed the log , it had been in there a while :cool:

Attachments

• mushcage.JPG
    mushcage.JPG
    138.7 KB · Views: 180
your soil is not draining adequately. I'd re-pot it with a fresh 50/50 mixture of good organic soil and vermiculite. 1" of sand on the bottom, and 1.5" to 2" of sand on top. cover everything w/ river rock.

Sorry to say, you are probably seeing the "flowerpot mushroom" - Leucocoprinus birnbaumii. Drainage is not the issue. This fungus can live in any organic soil. Repotting will not eliminate it. Fortunately, it is not dangerous to plants, or to people, unless eaten in large quantity. Hint: don't eat it.
With time it will pass away, and rarely appears twice in the same pot, unless more soil is added. I would remove the mushrooms as they appear, and otherwise ignore it.
<i></i>

thanks for the info, just was worried didnt want my plants to die since the cham isnt using them yet. was planning on repotting when it was time anyways and do the whole sand thing on top and bottom to help with the bugs.

soooo more are starting to appear.

weird part is scheff and ficus are in the same soil mix but only scheff has them growing. any more opinions?

Sorry to say, you are probably seeing the "flowerpot mushroom" - Leucocoprinus birnbaumii. Drainage is not the issue. This fungus can live in any organic soil. Repotting will not eliminate it. Fortunately, it is not dangerous to plants, or to people, unless eaten in large quantity. Hint: don't eat it.
With time it will pass away, and rarely appears twice in the same pot, unless more soil is added. I would remove the mushrooms as they appear, and otherwise ignore it.
<i></i>

Well son of a gun. :confused: What do I know? yikes. but what about my idea of the sand? Wouldn't the layer of sand keep it from starting in the first place? LOL, I'm drawing for straws. :rolleyes:

Well son of a gun. :confused: What do I know? yikes. but what about my idea of the sand? Wouldn't the layer of sand keep it from starting in the first place? LOL, I'm drawing for straws. :rolleyes:

i can count 8 new ones very easily and sorta scattered too. planned on doing whole sand idea anyways guess might just have to do it sooner than later

sand

what is the difference between playsand and all purpose sand?

was at one nursery at the play sand bags had ripped so went to another asked if they had playsand and gave me a bag. just today realized its all purpose, is there any difference?

Agreed, play sand something you'd let you kids dig in the sand box with. Its a cleaner product.

update: my schefflera got repotted with an inch of multi-purpose sandm schultz tropical mix and topped with my sand and thing is thriving!! and this is mostly without a light as well since the scheff is in my adult cage and my cha, uses the lights for his small cage

Back
Top Bottom