Mulberry trees in Maryland

wst0209a

Does anyone know if there are mulberry trees in maryland. I am not a tree person so I can't really tell the difference between two different trees. If not does anyone know exactly what I should look for. I looked it up online but it looks like there are a few different types. Please let me know. Thank you.

Maryland mulberries

There are 2 types of mulberry trees. The white (Morus alba) are hardy up to USDA zone 4 and aren't picky about the type of soil they'll grow in so I don't see why there wouldn't be any in Maryland. The red are generally found in warmer climes, zone 6 and up. Call your local Agricultural co-op extension agent. He should be able to tell you for sure if there are any in your area and what zone you're in. Mulberries are pretty easy to identify. They have a canopy much like an apple tree. The leaves are large and can have three different leaf shapes on one tree. The basic shape is a pointed end and rounded bottom with a serrated edge. Some leaves have a lobe on the side that makes them look like a mitten and the last shape has a lobe on each side that gives it a rounded trident shape. If you google "morus" you will find an Ohio university website that has some good pictures and alot more info.

I am in Maryland and have a few rather large Mulberry trees in my Yard a couple miles south of Columbia , I am not sure which type they are but they get large black berries on them that look just like a Blackberry ,but have very little flavor, you would be welcome to take a cutting off of them ,or a handful of berries to plant the seeds if you like. I do not know if a cutting would grow,you would probably have to plant seeds.

Good to see other Maryland people on here! I am near Fort Meade! There are Mulberry trees in Maryland. I dont have any in my yard but I have seen them in MD.

Sorry to bring this post up but..

I used to have a Mulberry tree right in my backyard!! I think it's cut down now though :( I do have black berries in my current yard though. Waiting for the leaves to sprout so I can stop feeding my stick bugs lettuce.

looking for mulberry cutting please

Dear Fogerty,
I would love to have some mulberry cutting please. I purchased a baby tree but it died. May I have your location? I live in Elkridge, MD.
thank You,
Yong

Dear Fogerty,
I would love to have some mulberry cutting please. I purchased a baby tree but it died. May I have your location? I live in Elkridge, MD.
thank You,
Yong

Back
Top Bottom