Mt. Meru Enclosure Size

jackscham

I am currently keeping my little Mt Meru jacksons in a fairly large enclosure. 48' x48'x 72'. Most of the bottom half is covered with live foliage. -----Can an enclosure be 'too big'?

The only problem with a small cham in a big enclosure is that it is not as easy to monitor its general behaviour (eating and drinking).
Mine are kept in 38 gallon flexariums with a ficus plant, my male is always on the roof of his cage,very active but I wonder if I should be concerned? Maybe it means he needs a bigger cage...

No, I don't think it can ever be too big, not for a juvie/adult cham. For a young baby, perhaps, but not for an older one.

You can always cup feed some of the food to make sure he's eating something.

No, I don't think it can ever be too big, not for a juvie/adult cham. For a young baby, perhaps, but not for an older one.

You can always cup feed some of the food to make sure he's eating something.

Ditto, I think the 4x3x4 or 4x2x4 should be the minimum cage size for anything Jacksons and up. I used to house my Jackon's in the really big reptarium and I always felt bad for the guy even though it was heavily planted. Having very little horizontal space definitely doesn't simulate much of a natural environment or promote good exercise IMO. Plus, it only take a few hours to slap some 2x2's together (pre-cut at home depot), water seal it, screw them together and staple some screen to it. So easy a caveman could do it ;)...no offense to any cavemen out there.

One of the best things about owning a Cham is that in a larger environment they are pretty active, depending on species. Especially if there are a few free ranging crickets lurking in the bushes. All of the sudden you see so much more of their natural behavior and activity.

I am currently keeping my little Mt Meru jacksons in a fairly large enclosure. 48' x48'x 72'. Most of the bottom half is covered with live foliage. -----Can an enclosure be 'too big'?

BTW well done, thats a perfect cage size if you do your due diligence and keep an eye on the guy, which I'm sure you are. Put some pics up!

One of the best things about owning a Cham is that in a larger environment they are pretty active, depending on species. Especially if there are a few free ranging crickets lurking in the bushes. All of the sudden you see so much more of their natural behavior and activity.

I totally agree, you don't really see what chameleons act like until you give them room to roam. Mine move sooo much more now that they have more than 2x2x4' to move around in, and they've been healthier for it, I believe.

Back
Top Bottom