Moving with a Cham

Frank Castle

I just found out yesterday that I may need to move. I live in southern California and might be moving to Washington state. It will be about a 2-day drive. What is the best way to transport my cham? Has anyone had any experience with this? Thank You.

Michele Smith, Chamcham 505, can give you her experience on her two day move from MI to FL. Youll have to message her in the event that she doesnt respond here.

zinc99 said:
I would move it the same way people ship them in the mail. A nice box with tiwgs.
Thats not how they are shipped, and if people are shipping like that I would advise against it very strongly. Chameleons are shipped in small fabric bags, similar to a pillow case. While in the bag, the chameleons generally go dormant, curled itn a fetal-like position. The sac is surrounded by padding, inserted in a strong custom made styrafoam box and then inserted into the harder casing, be it thin wood or hard cardboard.

Will Hayward said:
Michele Smith, Chamcham 505, can give you her experience on her two day move from MI to FL. Youll have to message her in the event that she doesnt respond here.

In my personal experience (I was taking 1.0 Veiled and 1.0 Panther), I placed them in cardboard-boxes lined with damp paper towel and plenty of ventilation holes so fresh air could circulate. I placed one branch tightly secured to both sides of the box so the chameleon had something to cling to. Make sure he is well hydrated before you do anything- I consider that of greatest importance. For the night I stopped at a hotel and snuck the chameleons in along with my baggage. I set them up in the shower (LOL) and gave them a good long misting, and rehydrated them, and they camped out for the night just fine.

If you're planning on bringing them into a hotel room, make sure to put a "DO NOT DISTURB" sign on your door in the morning so room service and the maids don't have a heart-attack. :eek: That whole procedure worked pretty well for me, so I would reccomend you try something similar. Good luck! :D

Thank You

Thanks for the responces, THe box/ hotel shower sounds good. I am worried about shipping, either leaving them here with a friend till I get there or shiping ahead of time and hopeing I get there in time. Thanks again for the info.

jenfur427 said:
Did you put them back in the box while you slept?

Yes, I left them in the boxes while I slept, but I did make sure the paper towels were moist enough to keep the humidity up.

Frank Castle said:
Thanks for the responces, THe box/ hotel shower sounds good. I am worried about shipping, either leaving them here with a friend till I get there or shiping ahead of time and hopeing I get there in time. Thanks again for the info.

I wouldn't even contemplate shipping him before or after you arrive- so many different variables to be dealt with, it's stressful on the chameleon, and a number of things can go wrong. I suggest you just take him along, it would make the entire situation much easier. :D

Thanks for the info. I don't think we're moving any time soon (but have my fingers crossed), but it's always good to have the info before you need it.

Back
Top Bottom