Moving soon.

Marshmallows mom

Established Member
Hello All, in need of some advice. I will be moving by the end of the month. From California to New Mexico, marshmallow will be traveling with us (of course) but it will be a 12hr drive. anything I should do or not do? :confused:

put him in a little travel box and put him in the car with you. As long as you don't leave him in a hot car or anything he will be fine.

Chameleons are regularly shipped and stay in the shipping bot for 12 to 18 hours at a time

Keep A/C on and windows down anytime the car is parked. Never set him down on your dashboard or any other part of car, just your lap or a cloth covered seat. No leather. I once had a customer set a baby on the dashboard, with windows down and A/C on, and he almost died. Within two to three minutes of us just standing there and talking, he turned crayon black and gaped for life. He did make full recovery as I noticed it quickly. But I knew to keep eye out as a previous customer left his on the dashboard. Sadly to say, it didn't make it six miles from my house. This was in mild 78-80°f temps. Remember the car can add 20°f. I would open the top every 30 minutes or so to allow fresh air in and cool him off. Keep a small mister with you for frequent drinks to keep him cool. You could get one of those dollar store water spraying fans as emergency prevention. I only say all this, cause NM can be EXTREMELY hot and dry right now. Good luck.

ferretinmyshoes wrote a blog about transporting chameleons. She recommended putting a branch inside a box for them to climb and sleep on and place a towel on the bottom of the box incase they fall. Once you close the box your cham will just go to sleep and arrive at your new home much less stressed than leaving him in a cage awake.

Back
Top Bottom