Moving soon PLEASE HELP!!

ChameleonRave

Avid Member
Hi to you all! I have had great help so far with owning my Veiled Chameleon, but I am going to be moving with in the next six months about 200-300 miles away from my house. so I was wondering how do I travel with my Cham. I have two dogs and two cats and 11 semi. aquatic turtles how should I plan this out? and I am NOT giving up my Chameleon!
so thank you all!

some people use boxes and put them in there, kind of like there being shipped. They will sleep the whole way with it being dark. If it were me and the cage would fit in my car I would let him travel in his cage and buckle it in.

I like putting my veiled in a box with a soft towel in it, then I leave him in a dark are for 10-20 minutes to let him fall asleep. Then he won't wake up until I poke and prod him a few times even if it's light out :) He seems to get scared if he's out of the box in the car.

on the other hand, my panther is one of the lightest sleepers ever and will go to sleep in the box when it isn't moving, but wakes up the minute I pick him up. He's more suited to sit out for the car ride. He seems scared when he is in the box.

I use the same box I recieved my cham in for trips to the vet and such. I put a dowel through it lenghtwise and taped it so it will not spin. I place a layer of damp paper towels in the bottom, place him on the stick and close the lid. By the time I get to the vet he is almost always sleeping.

alrighty that is a bunch of responses! :D Thnks! :D I will use the box that I got him in when I was at Petco :) I would use the cage but my dogs and cats will be moving around too much. :/ and turtles too! D:

You seem to have it under control; one other suggestion (that might help with the turtles if not the cham) is if you're comfortable with shipping, to board the reptiles with a trusted friend or vet, then have them shipped once you've moved. I probably wouldn't do that for a one day drive, but for a longer trip or if the sheer number of animals is going to get out of hand, it's a possibility.

You seem to have it under control; one other suggestion (that might help with the turtles if not the cham) is if you're comfortable with shipping, to board the reptiles with a trusted friend or vet, then have them shipped once you've moved. I probably wouldn't do that for a one day drive, but for a longer trip or if the sheer number of animals is going to get out of hand, it's a possibility.

I have never thought abou that :D You are very helpful! I am selling off my turtles right now :D I sold two of them today and I am releasing two that I just caught the other day :). they are all Red Eared Slider Turtles but the two getting released is snapping turtles

Hopefully they are native and not introduced?

Yes they are.. I only release the native ones, RES and Map turtles are not common in South Dakota unless you go to a petstore ofcourse... I have kept them for 15 years all of my life.. so I am very picky of where they go. I own 11 of them well now 7 but I enjoy every minute for caring about these semi-aquatic creatures and Chameleons of course! :D

when i had to travel with my chameleon, i just used the way he was shipped to me. in a little tupperware container with a moist paper towel. All in a cardboard box with newspaper around it.

when i had to travel with my chameleon, i just used the way he was shipped to me. in a little tupperware container with a moist paper towel. All in a cardboard box with newspaper around it.

Thats a really good Idea :D Thankfully I have 6 months to figure out how I am going to travel with him :D. I have the box that he came in from petco so i might use that put a few leaves and sticks and a wet paper towel at the bottom and cover it up for him to sleep :D Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom