moving gravid cham into new enclosure

userBandit

I have a female veiled chameleon who is currently gravid and I have her in a 4ft by 3ft custom built cage, but i decided to just order a real cage that is reptibreeze 2 x 2 x 4. My question is, is it okay to switch her to a new enclosure while gravid or should I wait for her to lay first?

I would recommend not switching her out of her current cage while Gravid, especially if she had already scoped out some places to dig up if you have areas for her to do so. I also use 2x2x4 repti breeze, great cage! I would just set up the new one and wait for her to lay, either way she’s going so be super stressed right after her lay or while she’s gravid, so it’s really up to you, just my opinion!

I have a female veiled chameleon who is currently gravid and I have her in a 4ft by 3ft custom built cage, but i decided to just order a real cage that is reptibreeze 2 x 2 x 4. My question is, is it okay to switch her to a new enclosure while gravid or should I wait for her to lay first?
How close do you think she is to laying? It is probably best to wait until she lays and recovers for a few days before moving her. Just curious why you’re moving her from the larger enclosure into a smaller one.

How close do you think she is to laying? It is probably best to wait until she lays and recovers for a few days before moving her. Just curious why you’re moving her from the larger enclosure into a smaller one.
The one I built has metal screening and I don’t want her to cut herself on a loose piece, also with it being so wide it’s a lot harder to to maintain temperature gradient and humidity. My mist king also only mists half of my enclosure at the moment. The cage is too big, so I figured I’d purchase her a real cage that is the best size for her.

I would recommend not switching her out of her current cage while Gravid, especially if she had already scoped out some places to dig up if you have areas for her to do so. I also use 2x2x4 repti breeze, great cage! I would just set up the new one and wait for her to lay, either way she’s going so be super stressed right after her lay or while she’s gravid, so it’s really up to you, just my opinion!
I agree, another worry is that she won’t lay in her cage she has now. Her husbandry is right and she has just been super restless all around her cage, so inward thinking maybe this change would help her. It’d be easier to add foliage too

Her being restless could be a sign she’s going to lay soon. Also I’m not sure what you mean by a cage that the best size for her. Bigger is always better. In the wild they don’t stay in a 16 cubic foot area. But you have to be able to maintain the right conditions.

Her being restless could be a sign she’s going to lay soon. Also I’m not sure what you mean by a cage that the best size for her. Bigger is always better. In the wild they don’t stay in a 16 cubic foot area. But you have to be able to maintain the right conditions.
Yeah conditions are hard to maintain in such a wide cage. I worry about bacteria forming on the wood and her cutting herself on the metal screening (it can be pokey when you poke holes through it to connect stuff). I monitor her closely (her new enclosure will be here thurs)

Back
Top Bottom