Moving a Chameleon

AnamCara

Chameleon Enthusiast
Hello!

So lately life has been a hellish sh****orm and I have had to make some choices. First -- I have to move in with my family while I undergo some treatments -- so that will be move number one for Ms. Mona. Secondly in the spring/early summer of next year, should all the treatments go well, I will be moving back to Minnesota. I am concerned about stressing out mona -- also I have concerns getting her from Colorado to Minnesota. My family all tells me to sell her but I don't see that as an option for me, personally. Through all this crap my animals are the one thing that has really kept me going and I have wayy to much love for her. Have you all moved states and how did you accomplish this?

My plan for temporarily moving up the mountain is to get her set up done then bring her up. I will have the same opportunity in MN -- I will be getting a house there and set her enclosure all up in Minnesota before she ever leaves colorado. My thoughts are to ship her -- I know this is pretty common but it makes me anxious. What else should I consider? I'd be SO down to do a road trip with a chameleon but I doubt she would like it.

Thanks for all the help friends!

Agree, ship her, she'll be fine. Use a reptile shipping company, like shipyourreptiles.com or reptiles2you.com and choose FedEx priority overnight. I've used them three times, using their packaging materials and boxes, all animals arrived fine. Keep an eye on weather in both Colorado and your destination as well as whatever FedEx hub the package will go through and follow their temperature recommendations. Use heat or cool packs if necessary. I delayed my last shipment of frogs by over a week while I wait for a suitable weather window, (but I shipped mid July to Mississippi and frogs all arrived fine.)

Last edited:
She will be fine shipped you just have to set her up properly and chose the right kind of weather to ship.
You will want to ship her in an insulted box inside a plastic container with a branch fixed firmly inside she can grip for her ride place some lightly damp paper towels for cushioning and humidity in with her.
She will sulk a little but once she is hydrated and fed and sure that her new territory is hers alone she will get over it.

She will be fine shipped you just have to set her up properly and chose the right kind of weather to ship.
You will want to ship her in an insulted box inside a plastic container with a branch fixed firmly inside she can grip for her ride place some lightly damp paper towels for cushioning and humidity in with her.
She will sulk a little but once she is hydrated and fed and sure that her new territory is hers alone she will get over it.
Thank you for the details! I know baby chams ship often but I wasn't sure about an adult. Her new and final set up in minnesota next year will be HUGE. I'm excited now!

Agree, ship her, she'll be fine. Use a reptile shipping company, like shipyoureptiles.com or reptiles2you.com and choose FedEx priority overnight. I've used them three times, using their packaging materials and boxes, all animals arrived fine. Keep an eye on weather in both Colorado and your destination as well as whatever FedEx hub the package will go through and follow their temperature recommendations. Use heat or cool packs if necessary. I delayed my last shipment of frogs by over a week while I wait for a suitable weather window, (but I shipped mid July to Mississippi and frogs all arrived fine.)

Excellent thank you. Whats the goldilocks temp to ship?

AnamCara said..."life has been a hellish sh****orm and I have had to make some choices. First -- I have to move in with my family while I undergo some treatments" ... Sorry to hear that things are not going well for you. I hope things turn around and it all works out for you. Good luck!

I am going to bump this as it appears the chance of me shipping two chameleons is likely. I know many people have shipped reptiles often -- but I would love to chat with someone who has shipped full-grown adults -- I don't think the male (if I end up taking him) will fit in a deli cup and getting them in there seems like a nightmare. I have read that people also ship in a cloth but how to you fix a gripping stick in there?

Back
Top Bottom