Moved my chameleon to a new cage...HELP!

JMBNRC

Hi guys! My boyfriend & I have had our chameleon for about 7 months now. He was 3 months old when we got him and he grew to be a happy, healthy chameleon. Since we got him he has been in the same cage and as he grew we realized it was time to upgrade so he would have enough room. We had a cage custom built for him and a few days ago we put him in it.

We love the cage...but he hates it! Since we put him in it he hasn't wanted to eat or move around much. He seems like a completely different chameleon!!! He will only eat a cricket here and there and is starting to get skinny already!!

I was desperate to get him to eat SOMETHING so I went out and got some mealworms today. I'm watching him eat them right now, slowly but surely. Today he seems to be moving around a little more than before, so I'm hoping this means he's getting used to his new cage.

So, my questions are...Is this normal? Is there something we should be doing differently to get him used to his cage? Has anyone been through a similar situation before?

I'm just terribly worried about my little guy and I just want him to start eating and be lively like he was before!! I would love some suggestions...thanks!!!:confused:

What size is the cage, and what was the size of the previous cage? What type of lighting are you using? My guess is that he is getting settled in, the no eating and lack of movement could be that he is stressed. I would give him time and all should be good.

From what i have heard and when i got my chameleon they take time to adjust to new house meaning may not eat drink sleep etc.

Congratulations on your new set up! I'm sure, once he gets settled in, he'll love it.

It is normal for them to behave this way for a week or so in a new cage. We do the same thing you did- we offer them some junk food (white worms) to soothe him and get him to injest a little something.

But, also, it is a good idea to actually measure the temps in his new cage. SOmetimes we have switched to a new cage, and when I measured the various temps I was suprised at how off I was in guessing what they would be. Double check basking, ambient, and floor level temps to be certain they are within his comfort range. A larger cage means greater distances, and a different mesh can retain/disperse more heat than you are accustomed to, etc. etc.

For temp checks I use one of those little black and silver battery operated digital thermometers that has the remote thermometer attached to it. I place the base thermometer on the floor of the enclosure, and rig up the remote at the basking area. Realize, of course, that your chams back will be higher than the basking branch itself.

I used to just assume my temps would be right, because I configured the cage the way everyone else's cages look in their photos. But the temp of the room, and the type of mesh, and other factors can make a big difference.

Your temps might be right-on, and the guy just nervous about a new cage, but it's worth getting in the habit of double checking anyway.

The old cage was one of the 38-gallon reptariums you can get at any pet store. The new cage is 4 feet tall and 3 feet wide on each side. So yes, it's a big change. Like I said, he's moving around more today than he has since we put him in there, but still not his normal self. I'm pretty sure too that it's just him getting settled in considering that up until the time we moved him he was completely fine. But, I'm just worried about him!

Thanks for the advice...We'll definitely try taking the temps to be sure because the new cage is also in a different room than the told cage was.

Don't worry.
Remember how territorial these animals are.
His territory is the only thing he has that really belongs to him, and you just took it away.
He is going to be so much happier in his new digs, but you've got to give him a chance to survey the lay of the land and take ownership.

-Brad

Thanks Brad! I was thinking before we put him in his new cage that he was going to love it (I mean, I love it!!!) but seeing him being so upset by the move makes me feel bad...but leaving him in a small cage his whole life would make me feel bad as well so hopefully he'll get used to his new home soon!!

Mine still hates her cage and shes been it it for almost 3-4 months now. I have to get her a new one to see how she likes it. I hate how she doesnt like the cage, but what can one do? lol :)

I am about to move both of my boys into new cages. Sorry to say... but Fred is getting a cage that is a bit smaller than his current one and Jake is getting a much larger cage. I really hope they adjust well. Jake seems cramped and Fred seems happy as can be. We shall see.:rolleyes:

yes my cham was a big suck about leaving his old cage when i moved him into his new big cage,but i gave him tough luv,he didnt eat for two weeks but then he came around,now hes very happy and growing

yes my cham was a big suck about leaving his old cage when i moved him into his new big cage,but i gave him tough luv,he didnt eat for two weeks but then he came around,now hes very happy and growing

Lol sounds normal for most animals.

Back
Top Bottom