MOUTHROT!?!?!?

lizzardd95

Hi!! I’ve had this little guy since June.
He’s always been on the darker side opposed to my other adult cham who is very bright in colors.

I was wondering if the discoloration on his lip area is something I should be worried about. I’ve been reading a lot about stomitis and read that the first few stages are yellow around the mouth. Not sure if you can tell based on the photos but it is on the darker side. Matches some of his other colors on him so my husband is telling me not to worry. But he’s my little baby and of course I worry. He tells me he’s probably going to go through a shed soon but idk something just doesn’t seem right to me.
Any answers or advice would be greatly appreciated.

What do u guys think? Should I take him to the vet??

Attachments

• 54838B5E-C66D-406C-BAD4-6FC07546B4B8.jpeg
    54838B5E-C66D-406C-BAD4-6FC07546B4B8.jpeg
    207.5 KB · Views: 101
  • BAFC63A4-EB63-491F-B739-5823671A0559.jpeg
    BAFC63A4-EB63-491F-B739-5823671A0559.jpeg
    177.1 KB · Views: 107
  • 497005E5-148A-4361-9850-8D899B4BFC11.jpeg
    497005E5-148A-4361-9850-8D899B4BFC11.jpeg
    113.1 KB · Views: 93
  • 5A3E9E9A-29ED-49A6-AC5E-D46106C26BDB.jpeg
    5A3E9E9A-29ED-49A6-AC5E-D46106C26BDB.jpeg
    120.6 KB · Views: 108
Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - Male veiled cham. Believed to be about 6-7 months
  • Handling - Daily. When I get home from work I open his cage to give a deep mist and he runs to my hand. He’s a very sweet little guy. Doesn’t puff up or hiss or anything.
  • Feeding - Crickets & meal worms as treats maybe once a week. He eats about 20 crickets a day. Sometimes less and he’ll just save them in there for the next day. Trying to incorporate fruits and veggies but shows no interest yet. My older cham was the same way but he eventually gave in and will eat them often so not worried.
  • Supplements - I dust with repti calcium without d3 for 5 days. I also switch off every week and dust with repti calcium w/ d3 and herptivite.
  • Watering - deep 3 minute mist every morning before work, after work (8hrs later), and before lights out. I leave his dripper on the lowest setting while I’m at work.
  • Fecal Description - worrisome. Poo seems fine it’s his urate I’m worried about. Has a tad bit too much yellow. I’m working on getting him more hydrated. Would only mist until my bottle was empty (about a minute) but now I got a bigger bottle and do 3 minutes and make sure he does get some droplets.
  • History - No history. Bought him from reptile store was very healthy.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - L reptibreeze screen enclosure. Upgrading to XL before Christmas.
  • Lighting - honestly not exactly sure of brand but he does have both uv light & basking light.
  • Temperature - basking spot is at about 92ish. Bottom moves from low 60s (during winter) and high 70s
  • Humidity - While misted it get to around 85%. It stays at around 60 with just dripper on. Should it be higher?
  • Plants - all fake. I’ve tried real but I really do not have a green thumb.
  • Placement - on a dresser in my room. Out of traffic
  • Location - California.

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - Male veiled cham. Believed to be about 6-7 months
  • Handling - Daily. When I get home from work I open his cage to give a deep mist and he runs to my hand. He’s a very sweet little guy. Doesn’t puff up or hiss or anything.
  • Feeding - Crickets & meal worms as treats maybe once a week. He eats about 20 crickets a day. Sometimes less and he’ll just save them in there for the next day. Trying to incorporate fruits and veggies but shows no interest yet. My older cham was the same way but he eventually gave in and will eat them often so not worried.
  • Supplements - I dust with repti calcium without d3 for 5 days. I also switch off every week and dust with repti calcium w/ d3 and herptivite.
  • Watering - deep 3 minute mist every morning before work, after work (8hrs later), and before lights out. I leave his dripper on the lowest setting while I’m at work.
  • Fecal Description - worrisome. Poo seems fine it’s his urate I’m worried about. Has a tad bit too much yellow. I’m working on getting him more hydrated. Would only mist until my bottle was empty (about a minute) but now I got a bigger bottle and do 3 minutes and make sure he does get some droplets.
  • History - No history. Bought him from reptile store was very healthy.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - L reptibreeze screen enclosure. Upgrading to XL before Christmas.
  • Lighting - honestly not exactly sure of brand but he does have both uv light & basking light.
  • Temperature - basking spot is at about 92ish. Bottom moves from low 60s (during winter) and high 70s
  • Humidity - While misted it get to around 85%. It stays at around 60 with just dripper on. Should it be higher?
  • Plants - all fake. I’ve tried real but I really do not have a green thumb.
  • Placement - on a dresser in my room. Out of traffic
  • Location - California.
Not sure on the mouth discoloration, maybe @Brodybreaux25 can help with that, if it even is anything. More variety in a cham’s diet is always great! You can try roaches (red runner, orange headed, ivory headed, and dubia cannot climb or fly), silkworms, hornworms, butterworms, superworms, black soldier flies and larvae, blue bottle flies, mantids, small helix aspersa, stick insects, painted lady butterflies, and silk, horn, and waxworm moths, to name a few. Just make sure it’s appropriately sized before you feed (not too big). What do you gutload with? Is his uvb linear (long and skinny) or a compact coil (fits in a dome fixture and looks like a spiraled normal light bulb), and what strength is it? What color is his basking light? Humidity shouldn’t be higher, it’s fine as is. What plants have you tried?

Not sure on the mouth discoloration, maybe @Brodybreaux25 can help with that, if it even is anything. More variety in a cham’s diet is always great! You can try roaches (red runner, orange headed, ivory headed, and dubia cannot climb or fly), silkworms, hornworms, butterworms, superworms, black soldier flies and larvae, blue bottle flies, mantids, small helix aspersa, stick insects, painted lady butterflies, and silk, horn, and waxworm moths, to name a few. Just make sure it’s appropriately sized before you feed (not too big). What do you gutload with? Is his uvb linear (long and skinny) or a compact coil (fits in a dome fixture and looks like a spiraled normal light bulb), and what strength is it? What color is his basking light? Humidity shouldn’t be higher, it’s fine as is. What plants have you tried?

Thank you!! Yes I plan to purchase some Dubias. My local petco just started selling hornworms and I’ve purcahsed some and he absolutely loves them so I do plan to purchase those online too from a different source.

I gutload the feeders w/ fruits & veggies in their enclosure. I used to use flukers orange cubes but read a lot of negativity about that so I switched to fresh fruit and veggies a few months ago.

The uvb is in a double dome that carries both the uvb & basking light. I believe it’s reptisun 5.0? I could be wrong I’m so sorry I don’t remember exactly but i do need to get all my reptiles their new bulbs this month because they are all about to reach their 6 month mark in Jan. The basking light is a reddish orange.

I’ve tried weeping willows in his enclosure but it dried up I think because of lack of sun because I would water accordingly. I’ve also tried some house plants in my home that just never seem to make it. He does have plenty of fake though but I do want to switch to real.

Thank you!! Yes I plan to purchase some Dubias. My local petco just started selling hornworms and I’ve purcahsed some and he absolutely loves them so I do plan to purchase those online too from a different source.

I gutload the feeders w/ fruits & veggies in their enclosure. I used to use flukers orange cubes but read a lot of negativity about that so I switched to fresh fruit and veggies a few months ago.

The uvb is in a double dome that carries both the uvb & basking light. I believe it’s reptisun 5.0? I could be wrong I’m so sorry I don’t remember exactly but i do need to get all my reptiles their new bulbs this month because they are all about to reach their 6 month mark in Jan. The basking light is a reddish orange.

I’ve tried weeping willows in his enclosure but it dried up I think because of lack of sun because I would water accordingly. I’ve also tried some house plants in my home that just never seem to make it. He does have plenty of fake though but I do want to switch to real.
There’s a gutload list in the food and nutrition tab in resources, if you want to double check if your fruits and veggies are safe or if you want to add in more. Make sure to use organic fruits and veggies as well. When you get the money, if you don’t already have it, invest in a linear fixture (t5HO or T8) and linear uvb bulb (Zoo Med 5.0 or Arcadia 6% for a large Reptibreeze and a Zoo Med 10.0 for an XL Reptibreeze) to replace your current uvb. Compact coils don’t penetrate out deep enough and can cause eye problems. If you want to get a double, quad, etc. linear fixture to add plant lighting, make sure each bulb space has an individual reflector or get a snap on reflector (make sure the fixture is compatible) or get multiple single fixtures with a connector cable. If you do that, make sure the plant light bulb is 6500K. There are more options for plant lighting, as well. Get a white light basking bulb to replace your current one. Regular heat incandescent bulbs from the hardware store are cheaper and last longer than reptile bulbs. FL Chams has an entire cham-safe plant list on their website. Personally, it’s almost impossible for me to kill a pothos or arboricola schfflera, and I have a black thumb and don’t use supplemental plant lighting! The Bio Dude has cheap plants and linear fixtures and uvb. Pangea Reptile and Reptile Basics also have cheap linear fixtures and uvb.

I see nothing to worry about. Next time he’s eating pay attention while he’s chewing, some Chams have brownish gums, this is normal. But if you see any dark black spots on his teeth or tongue then he’s should go to the vet ASAP.

For comparison:
39412F05-34AC-4D46-A3DA-AA30EA58AF62.jpeg
8CC8A317-39F9-4AE4-9D15-2E1AB00A4610.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom