mouth rot questions

nightcrawler

Avid Member
my guy has mouth rot and he is on daytril right now for it and im soposed to
stop giving him it tommorrow. He doesnt seem to be getting much better.
ive been giving it to him oraly. he doesnt seem to be holding
his mouth open as much as he used to but he still does.
the vet said it was early in catching it.

he doesnt have any sores on his mouth, it just looks a tiny bit swollen,
and his teeth are brown. i think they are reducing in the amouth of teeth
that are brown, but some still are.

are his teeth going to be like that forever or is he soposed to go back to normal?

when she looked at him she looked in his mouth for like two seconds
and then new it was mouth rot.

i used to squirt it in his mouth, but the last two days ive been injecting it
into worms, andd he eats them, but i dont know if he is getting enough of
the meds that way, so today i went back to injecting it back into his
mouth. there is still a bunch of baytril in his bottle left, and i was wondering
what i should do?

i think i am giving him .02 ml of it daily for 7 days.

any advice?

In my experience and from what I've heard/read, unless the cottage-cheesy pus is cleaned out of the areas that have mouthrot it doesn't go away. Also, if there was no culture of the pus done you won't know for sure that the antibiotic was the right one to fight the bacteria involved.

You should be careful that you give the right dosage. If you are short on the dosage, then you may not be killing off the bacteria and if you are going over you could be overdosing your chameleon.

If you have been sticking the syringe into the bottle of antibiotic and then into the chameleon's mouth or into the worm without using a new syringe each time, you might as well throw the remainder out because you've contaminated it IMHO.

Just my opinion....

i havent noticed any cheesy spots. how would i get it out and/or notice it?

the syringe she gave me is just a squirter kind of one, with no needle.
i got a needle syringe from my uncle because he uses insolin.

should i call the vet and ask her to do a culture on the mouth rot?
would she be able to do a culture on the saliva or does she have
to get the cheese stuff out, if their is any?
if their is no cheese stuff is that a good sign?
how would i know when he is healed?

Your suppose to give it to the chameleon orally everyday for seven days then every other day during the next seven days .

Mouth rot

Mouthrot sometimes takes a while to fix, but there is not real set timeframe to give the baytril if you look at the exotic formularies.

The real rule of most medicines is that you give it 3- 5 days past resolution of clinical signs. For many mammals this is 10-14 days. For reptiles that have slower metabolisms this maybe longer.

If the animal has little to no clinical signs, 7 days maybe adequate. Your vet, having seen the animal probably has a better idea than me as to the necessary timeframe.

Kinyonga is right that unless you remove the abscess material, the body will have a hard time removing it. (Think of mouth rot as a pimple. The material inside is usually fairly wet, so the body can send white blood cells into the mix to clean things up. In reptiles this material is "cottage cheese" like and is not easily penetrated by the white blood cells.)

So, if there is significant pus material (and there may not be), the vet maybe able to use the back side of a q-tip to remove this material.

One thing you could add that I have had success with is topical Zylofen (Zymox). I think you can get this on line. If not, contact me and I'll sell you a bottle.

Good luck,
Matthew

Is Zymox/Zylofen better than Flamazine for burns? How are the two different/the same?
Just curious since I've never used it.

i had mouth rot with one of my jackson chameleons (xants) quite often, it is difficult to get rid of and yes i would clean the pus out whenever there was build up. i did not have good luck with the baytril and it may sound crazy but i had better luck with a topical i bought from lllreptile, specifically for mouth rot. i am not big on natural remedies but it worked. you mix with water and make a paste, then apply and let dry on the area. i would do this every other day and usually see a progress in 3-5 days.
i will post again and link the stuff.
drew

OK guys, maybe i've been really lucky so far. I have heard of mouth rot, but i don't really understand how they get it. Can anyone fill me in?

Debby

i didnt notice any pus in there.
is it easy to see and notice?
she didnt clean it out with anything, she said that i cought it early, so
maybe that is why she didnt clean it out.

how would i know if he is better?

i havent been homle because i started a new job this weekend,
so i couldent observe him much, so i dont know if he is still holding his mouth
open or not.

should i increase his vitamins a bit becuase of the treatment?

Back
Top Bottom