Mouth problem

Hotaro

Hello!

My F. pardalis Ambanja has something strange around his mouth. It`s on both sides and it appeared 1 month ago. I don`t know, if this is some kind of infection or not. Any advices are welcome.

Best Regards

First of all, Beautiful Ambanja!!!! What a stud.

The mouth problem could be a number of things. Do you have any pictures of the inside or have you noticed any problems.

I would say a vet trip is in order. It could be mouth rot , if so if it gets too bad could be deadly.

I agree with Ryan. A vet vist is in order. I would hate to see something happen to that beautiful animal!

My chameleon has been diagnosed with mouth rot. The vet said that it may not clear up, even with proper treatment. I was just wondering how it is deadly to my chameleon, since I forgot to ask the vet. What does it do to their sensitive little systems?

I've noticed that if the topic of conversation doesn't seem to be important enough, no one on this forum will continue to comment.

Soooo, I found this article online written by Steven J. O'Meara

"Mouth rot (stomatitis)

This is a bacterial infection in or around the mouth caused by a cut or some other trauma. Either inside, around the gum line, or in the juncture where the top and bottom jaw meets. In serious and/or untreated cases this infection can spread to a chameleon's eye(s) (infraorbital infections). Another symptom is swelling around the gumline, leaving the mouth partially open because of an inablility to close the mouth completely. If left untreated this infections can destroy bone that results in a jaw fracture and unfortunately the chameleon will likely die. Once again, a visit to the vet is necessary."

This still doesn't answer my question as to why it would kill my chameleon, besides the obvious stress factor of course.

I've noticed that if the topic of conversation doesn't seem to be important enough, no one on this forum will continue to comment.

There are many of our members that work during the day. I know that your problem is a serious one, but if you wait until this evening perhaps you will get more advice. Of course the best advice is to follow what your vet had to say. You did a good thing by looking up mouth rot.

Welcome to the forum. :)

Nicolie!!!!! Helloooooooo??? You still don't understand why this is fatal when you found information discussing infection of the mouth and comproomised jawbones and eye infections? A chameleon with difficulty seeing and a painful mouth will probably not eat or drink. If you don't eat or drink, you die. Make sense?

I understand for the frustration, but what you said before about the lack of importance of this topic is simply not true. Try posting in the evening (when everyone is finished working. I am lucky enough to be able to work from home :) ).

but, here goes:
Stomatitis is a serious condition and usually a secondary disease (meaning that there is an underlying problem that need to be addressed, such as nutrition problem, improper husbandry, etc). Due to this, As long as the underlying problem is not fixed, mouth rot will come back.

There are many type of stomatitis. Common one is usually bacterial stomatitis. Others are viral, fungal, and parasitic.
how does it kill your chameleon?

simple. After all, it's an infection.

The infection, if not treated, will spread to your other organs (as your research indicate).
Lastly, it'll lead to septicemia where your blood is filled with bacteria.
This cause your body to go into shock mode.
your body temp will decreased beyond normal (hypothermia), your blood pressure will be whacked, Some psychological status will also be affected, and lastly your blood will clot.

Can you imagine such trauma to your chameleon?

Another thing is since the infection is in the mouth (and often lead to eyes and respiratory tract if not treated), usually your chameleon will stop eating and have difficulty breathing. Those alone are enough to kill them.

Hope that helps.

This still doesn't answer my question as to why it would kill my chameleon, besides the obvious stress factor of course.

Last edited:

If it is important enough...just keep posting on it yourself...bring it back up to the top of the forum to keep it alive...Thats what I will do.

RE: mouth condition:

It looks like it could be mouth rot, or a fungal infection. Either way it would be a good idea to get to Vet to get it propperly Identified.

Hope that helps

OPI

Last edited:
Thanks for the responses. I am not trying to be a complainer or a pain in the butt. I am simply looking for answers and sometimes when I post questions I get one or two responses and that is the end and everyone has moved on. Therefore, questions are not answered in full. This forum is my first stop on the internet each morning and I truly appreciate everyone's help and concerns. It is thanks to you guys that I am so obsessed with my chameleon's health and I just want to fully understand all things chameleon. Aren't we all a bit impatient when it comes to chameleon health concerns?

Thanks for the responses. I am not trying to be a complainer or a pain in the butt. I am simply looking for answers and sometimes when I post questions I get one or two responses and that is the end and everyone has moved on. Therefore, questions are not answered in full. This forum is my first stop on the internet each morning and I truly appreciate everyone's help and concerns. It is thanks to you guys that I am so obsessed with my chameleon's health and I just want to fully understand all things chameleon. Aren't we all a bit impatient when it comes to chameleon health concerns?

You better believe it :D, I get impatient when I wanna know whats up with my guys/gals.

Back
Top Bottom