Mouth open??

SarahChamlove

So today, as i was sitting around the house, I heard a hiss coming from my chameleon terrarium. I went over to look at her and I noticed that she was puffing up and moving around (kinda like they do when they shed, even tho she shed just yesterday)...

I continued to watch her and she began opening her mouth. So I figured that it was too hot, which it can be because i live in arizona, very dry and hot climate. So i turned off her basketing light. I've been keeping my eye on her for the last 45 minute and she still has her mouth open.

She ate about 11 crickets today (she is 4 months old). She did drink water earlier in the day, and i have a drip that slowly continue thru out the day. she had a shower yesterday and I typically give her a shower twice a week (due to the very dry climate)

So i was wondering, should I be worried about this? This is the first time she has done

also, I started noticing like white stuff coming out of her nose a couple weeks ago. its kinda like dry skin that usually falls off. Is that normal for chameleons? I know that is normal for other reptiles

Is there anyway to listen if she is making any wheezing noises or like a popping sound? Is there any excess stringy thick saliva that you can see in her mouth? The white stuff could be excess calcium(maybe over dusting) or I think just excreting salts and minerals. I have never had that issue but have read on here before with other people experiencing it and that was the conclusion that was made. BTW what are your cage temps, ambient and basking?

Right now, i have the light turned off (its almost bed time anyways) and the baskeing area is at 85 degrees. the bottom of the cage is at 75. at night it is 75 to 80. there is no salvia coming from the mouth. and she is not weezying. she a hiss from her mouth

Sarah, your temps seem good, maybe the ambient could be a little lower for night time though, but that should not be near hot enough to make her keep her mouth open. Just keep an eye out. I know they are prone to Respiratory Infections. Have seen alot of it on here. Not saying that is what that is by any means of course. They worry us, these little buggers, don't they?

ok, i"m just worried because thats the temperature will the light off. it can get to 90 if i dont lower the light ( i have a light dimmer and i use a 50 watt house bulb) and its not even summer yet. it can get to 120 on average in arizona and i am a new chameleon owner, I've had both of them for 2 months. I guess I'm just trying to prevent anything bad from happening with such extreme weather here. I took them both to the vet about three weeks ago, and other then havning to get my males weight up, the vet said they seem fine

I'll post pictures of them, as soon as i figure out!

Sarah, have you tried raising the light up farther from the cage, or maybe using like a 20 watt or 40 watt? Just an idea.... Do you have AC in your house?

You know, before I put the light about 6 inches from the cage. and it was normal temps. the baskeing area was 85. but the vet said it would be better if we just lay it on the cage. and I am very much considering getting a lower watt bulb. when I first got both of them, the lighting was fine. and i do have ac, that is on all day. i keep it on 75 in the house.

Is it possible she can see the male? I'm wondering if she just noticed him and decided to get angry.

If not and you continue to hear a noise, you might want to take her to the vet.

No she can't see him. He is in another room. and when i heard her hiss i was no where near her. She is very friendly with me, everytime i mist her cage is always willing to climb on to my arm on her own. It was just really strange.

Back
Top Bottom