Mouth open- should I be worried??

Hi everyone!!
Rafi, my ~6-8month male veiled Chameleon has been with me for 3 weeks now.
Yesterday, he started gaping while basking. This morning he was doing the same thing.
sometimes too he sits at the bottom of the cage hidden under some pathos plants.
The temperature and humidity levels seem to be correct (ambient of 75 degrees during the day and 65 at night, humidity around 50%, basking temp at 85 degrees).
Is he too hot?
He doesn’t have any bubbling or crackling noises when he breathes, no other sign of upper respiratory infection. He seems healthy otherwise.

Please see photos attached.

I would appreciate any advice!!

Attachments

• B1EDB75F-67EB-4526-9591-AB0D11C63129.jpeg
    B1EDB75F-67EB-4526-9591-AB0D11C63129.jpeg
    306.2 KB · Views: 115
  • 66EB9F02-4634-41AB-A3ED-22E3DFFE0525.jpeg
    66EB9F02-4634-41AB-A3ED-22E3DFFE0525.jpeg
    282.5 KB · Views: 122
What wattage are you using for the heat fixture? 85 at basking would be the high end. I keep mine at 80 at basking.

Can you post a pic of the entire cage please?

What wattage are you using for the heat fixture? 85 at basking would be the high end. I keep mine at 80 at basking.

Can you post a pic of the entire cage please?
Thank you for such the quick response!
The basking spot light is 100 or 120 watts I believe- I will check.
Below is a picture of the entire enclosure (I am still in process of switching out the fake plants. I just don’t want to stress him more. He’s been stressed I think. He hissed and lunged at me for the first time yesterday when I was feeding him.)

Attachments

• 4FE9A0AF-9431-43C6-A5CE-2907E03D4B49.jpeg
    4FE9A0AF-9431-43C6-A5CE-2907E03D4B49.jpeg
    180.9 KB · Views: 112
Below is a picture of the entire enclosure (I am still in process of switching out the fake plants. I just don’t want to stress him more. He’s been stressed I think. He hissed and lunged at me for the first time yesterday when I was feeding him.)
This is actually an older photo- almost all the fake plants are gone, and it is now live Pathos plants

I am willing to bet that your temps are much hotter at basking than you think. I only use a 60 watt bulb and can get 80-82 easy at basking.
How are you measuring your temps at basking?

Also your going to need to add more horizontal branches lower in the cage. mid level. So he can easily get down farther away to bask if he is hot. Use zip ties to hook them in to your verticals.

Also your going to need to add more horizontal branches lower in the cage. mid level. So he can easily get down farther away to bask if he is hot. Use zip ties to hook them in to your verticals.
I actually have added some more! I can show the updated cage once I am home to take a picture. Thank you for the advice :)

I am willing to bet that your temps are much hotter at basking than you think. I only use a 60 watt bulb and can get 80-82 easy at basking.
How are you measuring your temps at basking?
Oh wow ok! I use a small thermometer/humidity gage, and once a week I check by placing the thermometer end on the basking area branch.

Oh wow ok! I use a small thermometer/humidity gage, and once a week I check by placing the thermometer end on the basking area branch.
what kind is it?

You want a wired probe permanently placed at the basking level. hook it in with the probe on the branch using zip ties. These temps are going to get hotter during the day the longer the fixture is on.

Something like this. https://www.amazon.com/Zoo-Med-Digi...16437834&sprefix=zoo+med+temp,aps,234&sr=8-16

what kind is it?

You want a wired probe permanently placed at the basking level. hook it in with the probe on the branch using zip ties. These temps are going to get hotter during the day the longer the fixture is on.

Something like this. https://www.amazon.com/Zoo-Med-Digital-Terrarium-Thermometer/dp/B000MD3MFA/ref=sr_1_16?crid=1MHQIKKTM2V1C&dchild=1&keywords=zoo+med+temperature+gauge&qid=1616437834&sprefix=zoo+med+temp,aps,234&sr=8-16
It’s similar to that! I can hook it up. I’m just concerned it will get in his way when he’s basking

It’s similar to that! I can hook it up. I’m just concerned it will get in his way when he’s basking
It is better to know what the temp is rather then worry about it being inconvenient for them. All three of my boys have temp probes at basking branch permanently and none of them are phased by it in the slightest.

Back
Top Bottom