Mouth open at basking spot first time ever :S

tryme

My veild is over a yeard now and for like the first time i've seen him sitting at the basking spot with his mouth open. He's been in his new enclosure for a couple of weeks now and never done this before. I check the temps now and then and they are always around 33-34C. If he carries on should I try to move it further away or change the wattage? It's really weird, it hasn't bothered him before. Maybe he's been basking for longer then normal?

Do you own an infrared thermometer? By scanning his skin area that is exposed to the heat, you might find it's actually a bit higher than 33-34. But I wouldn't think that's too much to handle for an adult veiled, I wouldn't worry about it, maybe he just overdid his little tanning session and was releasing some heat. If you see it happening often then yeah I'd probably change the bulb or raise up the lamp a bit.

My veild is over a yeard now and for like the first time i've seen him sitting at the basking spot with his mouth open. He's been in his new enclosure for a couple of weeks now and never done this before. I check the temps now and then and they are always around 33-34C. If he carries on should I try to move it further away or change the wattage? It's really weird, it hasn't bothered him before. Maybe he's been basking for longer then normal?

The temps seem fine. Just make sure he gets lots to drink (I already know you are). If he starts to do it all the time then I would worry. Maybe you haven't seen him do it before or like you said he may have just been basking a Little too much that time.

Back
Top Bottom