Moths

Lennoncham

Chameleon Enthusiast
So I just noticed on the food care image it says moths of all kinds and was just wondering if that meant literally all kinds or if there’s some I should not feed.
23325C39-1B26-48AA-B4BA-BC3B1EA6FC72.jpeg

-not an expert, but it's hard to say I think for anyone... even tomatoes contain small amounts of tomatine which is toxic, the leaves having more, but are apparently edible to humans in moderate amounts. Most plants have some sort of defense mechanism/anti nutrient. My bet would be that even a hornworm off a tomato plant probably wouldn't do serious damage and especially i doubt a moth would be problematic. Of course, don't take my word for it... I don't want to be responsible for someone poisoning their chameleon, but when most people think of dangerous nightshades it's due to the relation to deadly nightshade plants which are very dangerous and not edible at all. They share the same alkaloids, or some of them, that make people sick, but in different quantities I think*

(Just read through some stuff about it, someone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong)

-not an expert, but it's hard to say I think for anyone... even tomatoes contain small amounts of tomatine which is toxic, the leaves having more, but are apparently edible to humans in moderate amounts. Most plants have some sort of defense mechanism/anti nutrient. My bet would be that even a hornworm off a tomato plant probably wouldn't do serious damage and especially i doubt a moth would be problematic. Of course, don't take my word for it... I don't want to be responsible for someone poisoning their chameleon, but when most people think of dangerous nightshades it's due to the relation to deadly nightshade plants which are very dangerous and not edible at all. They share the same alkaloids, or some of them, that make people sick, but in different quantities I think*

(Just read through some stuff about it, someone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong)
From what I read it would take 3 hornworms to kill your chameleons from the level of nightshade

From what I read it would take 3 hornworms to kill your chameleons from the level of nightshade

Do you have the source for that? Not that I don't believe you, I do, I'm genuinely curious. With chams being much smaller I don't doubt it if even some people get reactions, but I'm not sure if they remain toxic after being fed something else for a couple days?

Back
Top Bottom