Mother-in-law found a Panther in her garden!

WayneL333

Hey everyone,

So my mother-in-law found a panther chameleon in her garden a few days ago. My family and I were actually away on spring break vacation so she called my dad over to catch it. I only live a couple of blocks away from her so they thought it was one of mine that had escaped.

Well, it wasn't. I haven't owned a panther for a while and this one looks like a Nosy faly to me which I've never owned. It looks super healthy and loves to eat dubias. It's munching down on one in the pic. It doesn't seem to be suffering from MDB and looks plump. Which locale do you think it's from?

And my big question is what do you think I should do with it? Part of me wants to let it go back free. If it's been living free for a long time, I feel guilty caging it up. Also, if someone lost it, it may crawl back into their yard and they find it again. I live in Santa Monica, CA so the climate would definitely suit it. What do you guys think?!?

I'm not sure what kind of Panther he it but I would try to locate the owner. Whoever lost him is probably heart broken. If you can't locate the owner then I would give him to a responsible person that would free range him and take care of him. I don't feel it's safe for him to live in the wild. So many things could happen to him outside. :eek:

Last edited:
That's crazy! I've heard stories of people losing their chams but I can't say I've ever heard of anyone just randomly finding one. I would definitely not send him back out. Try to find someone to take care of him. Good luck!

I would never let that cham go in your area, way to many, cars, cats and cars. If you chose not to keep it, call ChamEO. That is a rescue and they will take the cham. Elisa is wonderful. I can promise the cham a wonderful home. Elisa does not keep the chams, rather she makes sure the cham is in good health and adopts to out.

She is an easy drive from you.

Last edited by a moderator:
There is only one answer to what to do with him--try to find his owner. Someone might be very heartbroken today because their beloved chamelone escaped.

You can call around to pet shops, veterinarians, animal shelters, asking if someone has posted a lost chameleon flyer.

He likely came from your neighborhood. You could put up flyers asking if someone has lost him.

Most people who lose things other than dogs and cats give up far too soon when looking for their lost animal.

Someone owns him.

I would recommend looking for the owner. However until the owner is found I would consider rehoming the chameleon at Elisa rescue.

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

I recently lost my Veiled so I know how much I would love for someone to post a found pet notice. I would try that. If no one responds then I'd keep it or offer it up to someone who would be willing to take care of one. Speaking of which I have a spare "Dragon Brand" cage and work in Culver City if you feel like giving him up to someone who would love to take care of him! :)

A

Thanks for the suggestions. Yeah, I'll have my m-i-l ask around to see if any of her immediate neighbors lost it. Hopefully we can find the owners. I'm thinking it's probably an escapee as I can't imagine a "wild" cham being so 'fat'. In any event, I'll keep you guys updated.

I recently lost my Veiled so I know how much I would love for someone to post a found pet notice. I would try that. If no one responds then I'd keep it or offer it up to someone who would be willing to take care of one. Speaking of which I have a spare "Dragon Brand" cage and work in Culver City if you feel like giving him up to someone who would love to take care of him! :)

A

Sorry you lost your Veiled. I actually have my one and only clutch of panther eggs baking right now and they're due to hatch in the next month or two. If you want one, I'll gladly let you adopt a hatchling once they're ready. Let me know and I'll let you know when they're ready.

Sorry you lost your Veiled. I actually have my one and only clutch of panther eggs baking right now and they're due to hatch in the next month or two. If you want one, I'll gladly let you adopt a hatchling once they're ready. Let me know and I'll let you know when they're ready.

Thanks!

Please do let me know when they're ready!

Good luck finding his owner!

A

Wow never heard of someone randomly finding a panther chameleon. Maybe they are living and breeding there if the temp is right all year round.

Wow never heard of someone randomly finding a panther chameleon. Maybe they are living and breeding there if the temp is right all year round.

Trust me, there at not any panthers breeding wild in Santa Monica. Had you been there you would understand.

What luck! Hopefully someone's Panther has be recovered live and healthy. Good luck finding the owner. From you pic he looks like he is doing well.

Back
Top Bottom