Most Friendliest Chameleon?

Very well put

Personally, I don't like to say that chams are either unfriendly or friendly. Just not the right term and an attempt to lay human terms on a creature that is NOT human. Think about it this way...some chams are much more tolerant around human activity than others. I wouldn't say that chams are "stupid", but rather that they are not socially sophisticated. Their evolution in the wild didn't require them to be social so they never developed that set of behaviors. They never needed to know how to behave around a human...so why should the captive chams who are just a few generations removed from wild individuals be any different? To me, stupid means someone (or something) is deliberately unwilling or too lazy to use the brain or abilities they have available.

A cham is intelligent enough to survive its wild existence. That's not stupidity...just a different type of experience and knowledge than what would be expected from a social mammal (like a human or a pack animal like a dog).

Personally, I don't like to say that chams are either unfriendly or friendly. Just not the right term and an attempt to lay human terms on a creature that is NOT human. Think about it this way...some chams are much more tolerant around human activity than others. I wouldn't say that chams are "stupid", but rather that they are not socially sophisticated. Their evolution in the wild didn't require them to be social so they never developed that set of behaviors. They never needed to know how to behave around a human...so why should the captive chams who are just a few generations removed from wild individuals be any different? To me, stupid means someone (or something) is deliberately unwilling or too lazy to use the brain or abilities they have available.

A cham is intelligent enough to survive its wild existence. That's not stupidity...just a different type of experience and knowledge than what would be expected from a social mammal (like a human or a pack animal like a dog).

Ditto.

If someone wants a pet that they can handle, a chameleon isnt a good choice. A lizard that tolerates handling is a bearded dragon.

If someone wants a pet that is "friendly" they should choose a dog.

I have a veiled that's almost 5 months and it really seems like his tolerance for people depends on the person. I am the one that feeds him and cleans the poop out of his enclosure. He doesn't seem to mind me. He won't run to the door for me, but he won't run and hide when I'm in the room. If my boyfriend (who lives here too) goes in the room, my little man can't seem to hide fast enough. I'm also pretty short and my boyfriend is over 6'. I am guessing that I'm less threatening due to size, but who knows.

My rats were actually bred for being pets and not feeders, though. One is hairless and the other is what's called a dumbo. I've heard the rats bred for being feeders tend to be less friendly since breeding for temperment isn't of that much concern for an animal that's going to be food.

my friend breads rats lol i dont much care for them :D
hers are usually friendy but when she does have mean ones she gives them to me for feeders :p
my sister also has hooded rats lol they are like 3 years old lol they are huge :eek:
i dont have the patients for rats lol
il stick with my non-furry cold blooded friends :p

I spend allot of time interacting with Luie and Camille. They live free (no cage) in my home and are the sweetest most laid back chams you'll ever meet and I love them both dearly.

Me giving Camille a kiss

MillieandmommyThanksgiving09031.jpg

Luie giving me a kiss

LuieJannandCamille32909030.jpg

i realy need to get some sleep, lol. didnt bother reading 4 pages of replies, but i will just jump in and give my 1 and a half cents on it. ahem..

straight to the chase, there are NO friendly chams. there are lucks in a draw no doubt, but one way or another there is agressiveness to some point in every chameleon. and like any animal, unpredictable moments can and do happen. just my opinion :)

I spend allot of time interacting with Luie and Camille.

Luie giving me a kiss

LuieJannandCamille32909030.jpg

Isn't it a bio hazard of sorts to kiss a reptile? I imagine they could transmit disease?

CDC website said:
An estimated 3% of households in the United States own at least one reptile. Reptiles, including turtles, lizards, and snakes, can carry germs that make people sick. Of greatest importance is salmonellosis. An estimated 70,000 people get salmonellosis from contact with reptiles in the United States each year.

CDC

None if your looking for friendly get a beardie. Some have different personalitys but not a certian species, i have veileds that will bite and some that will come to your hand, i have panthers that will do the same.

My panther LOVES to be held. He's so comfortable around me he even poops on my hand >.<. But seriously though, it's gotten to the point that when I walk by the cage he crawls up to the door and follows my hand sometimes.

Sometimes I feel bad for him and sometimes I won't even come close to the cage because hell just hang on the door and wait for me.

Thanks Jann,for the new wallpaper!

You are welcome Chuck! ;)

macrylinda1 Buy that poor guy a tree or a large plant to chill on outside of the cage sometimes when you are around to supervise.

summoner12 if kissing a reptile would hurt you then I would have been dead a long time ago.

Last edited:
You are welcome Chuck! ;)

macrylinda1 Buy that poor guy a tree or a large plant to chill on outside of the cage sometimes when you are around to supervise.

summoner12 if kissing a reptile would hurt you then I would have been dead a long time ago.

Salmonella doesn't usually kill you... but im sure there is a statistic out there.

People infected with Salmonella may experience mild or severe diarrhea, abdominal cramps, fever and occasionally vomiting. Bloodstream infections can be quite serious, particularly in the very young or elderly.

NY State Health website

This should be the most calm chameleon,in which case Parsonii would get my vote. They are lazy bastards.

Salmonella doesn't usually kill you... but im sure there is a statistic out there.

NY State Health website

Thank you so much for your concerns. If I ever get any of these symptoms I'll be sure to ask my doctor to give me a salmonella culture. I've also put in a question to my vet (one of the best chameleon vets in the US) just how often he sees salmonella in chameleons and Cuban Knight Anoles.

Thank you so much for your concerns. If I ever get any of these symptoms I'll be sure to ask my doctor to give me a salmonella culture. I've also put in a question to my vet (one of the best chameleon vets in the US) just how often he sees salmonella in chameleons and Cuban Knight Anoles.

In the most technical sense you can pick up salmonella from any egg laying animal including herps or birds. How often do parrot keepers kiss their birds? All the time! How common is salmonella infection in bird or herp keepers? It isn't. The chances of picking up salmonella from a terrestrial herp is pretty low unless they are not kept in clean conditions. I would think even lower for an arboreal cham who isn't in constant contact with substrate. More likely from an aquatic turtle or an amphibian. Now jan if you and your cham started licking/grooming each other.....!

Back
Top Bottom