Moss muncher!

parisaurusrex

I used a very damp layer of sphagnum moss on my shleffera until the dirt layer compacted a little bit, (my last cham got an eye infection from getting dirt in his eye!) and I was just watching Ziggy and saw him get a mouth full of it! He deliberately went down to the bottom of the plant, and picked up moss! so I got what I could out of his mouth, much to his disliking. and I'm waiting for him to stop pouting so I can turn his tree around and get the rest of the moss out of the other side. Was worried about the dirt, but knew moss wasn't a permanent solution due to the bacteria and nastiness that comes along with it, and boom.. he decides to eat the moss.

I've read a thread on here about giving him hornworms, and pumpkin puree? As a laxative?
I'm not entirely sure if he has done this before just now, but I do know his defecating is normal and fine, and his urates are white. I'm just being a worry wart, and want to give him whatever he needs to flush that crap out of his system.

Also - he has plenty of vegetation to eat, and he does eat it, so I'm not sure why on earth he would want moss. He's trying to give me a heart attack, I know it.

Try the hornworm thing and hope he doesn't get impacted. For the future use river rocks to put over the dirt of your plant.

Try the hornworm thing and hope he doesn't get impacted. For the future use river rocks to put over the dirt of your plant.

Im doing that as we speak, actually! thanks, I thought I could put it in for a few days, and take it right back out and he wouldn't even know! :(

My Ziggy is (was and still tries to be) a dirt eater. Its like his morning coffee. First thing he does when the lights go on is go to the bottom of a plant and nose between the rocks. Made me nuts. I have put mesh over the big sheff and have doubled the layer of river rocks…..He is one determined cham though.

Maybe its chams named Ziggy who live in the PNW… makes ya say "hmmmmm"

My guy is also Ziggy Stardust.

My Ziggy is (was and still tries to be) a dirt eater. Its like his morning coffee. First thing he does when the lights go on is go to the bottom of a plant and nose between the rocks. Made me nuts. I have put mesh over the big sheff and have doubled the layer of river rocks…..He is one determined cham though.

Maybe its chams named Ziggy who live in the PNW… makes ya say "hmmmmm"

My guy is also Ziggy Stardust.

:eek: my guy is Ziggy Stardust too! maybe they are long lost soul brothers. Sound pretty similar! I put two layers of rocks at the bottom of the plant, after removing every last fiber of moss. and I gave him some food and a warm misting to try and keep his system moving!

Back
Top Bottom