Morio Beetles Falling Over And Becoming Unconscious.

The Wild One

Chameleon Enthusiast
Im Keeping Morio beetles as cuc for Codas Bioactive, but they keep falling over on their backs and becoming seemingly unconscious. I have to flip them over and in about 5-10 minutes they are fine. Does anyone know what causes this? Or how to prevent it? This is their enclosure now and they were in a tiny plastic bin with oatmeal but they kept trying to climb the walls and falling over. I thought that is would be easier if they had something to grab onto so they could flip back over but Im having the same outcome. Any Ideas? And can they die if they're in their backs for too long?

This is the bin they are in now.
C7FF33C7-45E0-490D-9C5A-884127BE9061.jpeg

Some beetles will play dead. My guess is the falling over is startling them and triggering them to play dead for a bit. Not entirely sure though, just guessing. Also I don't know if I'd want to use morio beetles/worms in my enclosure. If they lay eggs you'll have tons and they could be destructive to plants not to mention have a pretty strong bite.

They have their place, I've had them in mine before, but I don't think I'd recommend adding them. Chances are nothing happens, but a lot of them will chew through and eat just about anything. Should see my large superworm/beetle tub. They have turned slabs of cork bark into rubble.

Back
Top Bottom