More Parson's Questions from Newbie

Jonah

Question 1: How hot is really too hot for a Parsons?

I've been keeping my 6-7 month old female orange eye outside now for more than a month here in the mid-Atlantic US, and its starting to get really hot. I plan to keep her outside for the whole summer but worry about her health as the temps move into the mid 90s (it'll be in the low 80s to mid to high 90s all summer). This is clearly way hotter than the native areas where Parson's live in Madagascar.

Anyways, I've got her fully in the shade and have been leaving the mister over her cage on throughout the afternoon. I've watched her on the hottest days and she only gapes when the mister is turned off at the hottest party of the day. Her health otherwise seems good. She's eating well and seems to be enjoying life (as far as I can tell). Should I worry about multiple days up in the 90s if she has a constant mist to keep her cool and doesn't seem to be gaping? Its also really humid outside, which I've read can make it easier for reptiles to cope with the heat. I'll bring her inside if it nears 100F, but a few days of mid to high 90s shouldn't be too bad for her right?

Question 2: When do Parson's turn green?

It seems that the brown color that most Parson's have as juveniles goes away eventually and they turn green. But when does that happen? My girl is as brown as she was 2 months ago. Not even a green stripe. Green is so much prettier than brown.

Attachments

• IMG_0043.jpg
    IMG_0043.jpg
    110 KB · Views: 183
The temperature is something I was a little unsure about as well. I'm up north in PA, but our climates are pretty similar during summer. You guys probably get a decent bit warmer, but we're still in the 80-mid 90s and very humid in summer. I have a Male YL locale 2 years old living outside. There are others that are much more experienced than me with Parsons, but I don't see any of them post here often. I get mixed answers across the board on their temperature tolerance, i was going to make a thread about it the other day. I've heard* yellow lips tend to like the warmer temperatures than orange eyes and mine is outside in the 90s, very active with a massive appetite. Not shy at all either. I've never seen him gape before. Early in spring he even seemed fine with temperatures as low as mid 40s for a few hours in the early morning. It's been raining a lot so I haven't needed to put the hose on, but when it's dry and hot I'll give him about an hour of water at night and some cool off sprays throughout the day. I believe @Action Jackson keeps his outside through the hot soCal summers and he's the parsonii master. One issue could be our hot and humid air causing RI. Not sure how likely it is, but that'd be my main concern.

As for the color change, I have a Male so it's hard to compare, but he started getting his blues late spring/early summer last year after he came out of a little brumation. He was hatched 2017 april, but I've brumated him(out of convenience since I got him January 2018) so he didn't grow much at all during winter. Once the color starts to shine through it comes on fast.

One issue could be our hot and humid air causing RI. Not sure how likely it is, but that'd be my main concern.

Hm, it seems the most common reason they get RIs is because humidity and stagnant air develops bacteria. But since our cages are outside and the wind is constantly moving the air around, I would think the bacteria would get pushed out. Otherwise every animal would get RIs in the humidity, right?

What I worry about is the constantly wet branches under her feet. There, I think, the bacteria can grow. I don’t want her feet to get infected, so I’m trying to limit the spraying to just the hottest part of the day. Otherwise I’m trying to keep the cage dry.

Parson’s are pretty temperature tolerant. They can handle temps down into the 30’s and up into the 90’s. Although I say this, I would recommend gradually introducing your parson’s to these extreme temperature ranges. I don’t get concerned until we get close to 90 and above. My outdoor enclosures are 7’ tall and fully planted. This allows the chameleons to go lower in the cage where temperatures are a bit cooler especially if the ground is moist. In the past I have provided additional shade during these hot periods by using shade cloth or white lattice on top of the enclosures. When it’s really hot (over 90) I run the misters as much as possible and also hose down the enclosures.

On our trips to Madagascar we were in Parson’s habitat during their summer period and I can tell you it was very hot and humid.

Hm, it seems the most common reason they get RIs is because humidity and stagnant air develops bacteria. But since our cages are outside and the wind is constantly moving the air around, I would think the bacteria would get pushed out. Otherwise every animal would get RIs in the humidity, right?

What I worry about is the constantly wet branches under her feet. There, I think, the bacteria can grow. I don’t want her feet to get infected, so I’m trying to limit the spraying to just the hottest part of the day. Otherwise I’m trying to keep the cage dry.

Honestly, I'm not sure. But, not every animal is from a hot and humid climate. Some are designed to handle it better than others. I have a friend that lost a mellers due to RI outside in Florida. I would think the same as you, that the constant air exchange would help reduce it, but there may still be a risk. I can't say for certain, only experiences I've heard.

Skimmed through and didn't see @Action Jackson mentioned their habitat being hot and humid during summer. That relieves me to hear, I thought it might be, but wasn't sure. Are the different locales found in similar climates or do they differ a little? Like OE vs YL?

I like to refer to their coloration as more of a toasted marshmallow and less as brown, haha. From what I've seen, baby Orange Eyes can vary considerably in coloration, but my girl from BION started getting her permanent greens at about 40 grams.

Back
Top Bottom