month old blind?

hollycham

How would I tell if a baby I have is blind. He is a month old. temps, humidity, and feedings and lights are all good. All the others are doing great. I have separated him thinking it would help but he still hardly eats and seems like he has no depth perception and likes to keep his eyes closed. He will open them but doesn't seem to be very responsive with movement around him. If he is blind will he be ok or is the little guy going to starve to death?:confused:

starve to death

That he won't do, however you will have to "baby bird" him. i have a couple of rescues who require hand feeding. some will take it from my palm, while another one makes me hold it down on a branch an inch in front of his mouth. It can be time consuming, but at least you'll have a friendly cham. Hope for the best. Take him outside if weather permits. You will absolutely know if he is blind. His eyes will follow any moving thing and he will start the "leaf" walk. He will pretend he is a leaf moving on a tree when he walks. It's good for a laugh. ps: i had a nosy be male i ordered once come in with depth percerption issues. He was always off to the left by two inches with his tongue. He finally gave up and just started biting his food. I set him up with a little condiment tray hanging from a branch, that i put his food in. Sorry to say a month later he still isn't using his tongue, but i don't have to hand feed him. He is also plump and seems happy. good luck.

How would I tell if a baby I have is blind. He is a month old. temps, humidity, and feedings and lights are all good. All the others are doing great. I have separated him thinking it would help but he still hardly eats and seems like he has no depth perception and likes to keep his eyes closed. He will open them but doesn't seem to be very responsive with movement around him. If he is blind will he be ok or is the little guy going to starve to death?:confused:

There could be other internal problems you can't see. It may not be blindness itself. Chams as young as this sometimes simply fail to thrive. You have done the right thing by separating him giving him less competition and disturbance. Keep him drinking and to get some calories and electrolytes into his you could give him some diluted Pedialyte. If he just won't respond to anything and does not eat on his own he may not be destined to survive. Up to you.

Thanks for the help guys I am and will continue my best to help the little guy. He is about 5 weeks and has survived so far! I think he is eating but very little and he doesn't seem to follow my fingers at all when his eyes are open he tends to look more towards from where the vibration is coming from I think. I ve watched him after I put food in and sometimes they crawl right next to him and he doesn't do anything but he has to be eating something cause he hasn't passed yet

Back
Top Bottom