Mom spraying room with allergenic spray

Tommy Naples

Hi guys I'm new here and I have a quick question my mom sprays the room where my chameleons habitat is with this allergenic spray that kills allergens it has a smell to it and I was wondering if it might be harmful to the chameleon the room has 4 windows and they're open so it's ventilated I'm just worried if I should move the habitat or not. Your help is much appreciated :)

It's the Lysol disinfectant spray it's sent is the Vanilla sent she sprays it on the couch and you can smell it pretty good in the air around the cage.

It's the Lysol disinfectant spray it's sent is the Vanilla sent she sprays it on the couch and you can smell it pretty good in the air around the cage.

Disinfectant sprays can irritate cage birds' respiratory passages, and I consider chams very similar to birds. Also, the scents added to these sprays contain all sorts of concentrated aromatic oils that are often petroleum based. I do NOT use scented sprays, candles, potpourri, or heated aromatherapy oils in the same room my cham cages are in.

If she insists on using allergenic sprays (and I would remove the cage before using it) use a "greener" baby-safe type that has no added scent.

Disinfectant sprays can irritate cage birds' respiratory passages, and I consider chams very similar to birds. Also, the scents added to these sprays contain all sorts of concentrated aromatic oils that are often petroleum based. I do NOT use scented sprays, candles, potpourri, or heated aromatherapy oils in the same room my cham cages are in.

If she insists on using allergenic sprays (and I would remove the cage before using it) use a "greener" baby-safe type that has no added scent.

Ditto 100%. You don't want to breathe the Lysol stuff yourself, much less expose a small animal with a slow metabolism. Definitely look for something greener and unscented - someone with allergies shouldn't be using scented/perfumed/dyed anything anyway. Maybe even consider a dilute solution of apple cider vinegar in a spray bottle. That might do the trick and should not have too much of a smell.

(Just be aware that all those terms "baby safe", "natural", "organic", and etc are all completely unregulated labels - they don't actually mean anything legally. Technical you can label arsenic, mercury, and asbestos as "all natural" without even lying - they occur naturally in nature. Doesn't mean they won't kill you slowly and painfully.)

Okay we'll I decided I would remove the chameleon while she sprays and put the habbitat back when there is no more of the smell In the air thanks for the info guys helped a lot :) I just want to make sure he lives a long healthy life :)

Carlton and Ataraxia are so right. I've kept birds and did a lot of research before I got them and chams are supper sensitive to commercial disinfectants just like birds are. Here's a good recipe that will keep your mom happy with a fresh smelling room and a happy cham.

Lemon Vinegar

•White Vinegar
•Citrus fruit peel (Lemon, Lime, Orange, etc.)
•Clear container with lid
•Spray bottle

Vinegar a great natural disinfectant and so is the citrus. Bonus, they are great odor alleviators

Back
Top Bottom