Moldy vermiculite

dann6

Hello , my female panther laid eggs back on 1/2/2014 , checking the eggs today I noticed mold on the vermiculite by the eggs but not the eggs , is this something I should be worried about ? Any way to get rid of the mold ? Thank you for your responses

Any ideas what would cause the mold ? Will it be bad if some of the powder gets on the egg ?

Any ideas what would cause the mold ? Will it be bad if some of the powder gets on the egg ?

Mold spores are the cause of mold. People used to dust foot powder on the eggs if a viable egg started to mold for whatever reason. IIRC, a few keepers were able to save a few hatchlings this way. That's one reason I've always rinsed my eggs in room temperature distilled water before incubating them, much to the chagrin of my colleagues. Combine that with the use of perlite, I've never had a viable egg mold.

I have had the same. problem. before. and i just took eggs out and put in different. vermiculite. but try not to rotate them mark with pencil or nontoxic marker. good luck qouwouldnt use foot powder .

Please allow me fo referee here. Let's leave out who asked what and who said what, and make two statements. 1) The antifungal powder will kill the mold, however i would recommend changing your medium out for new. 2) If any powder should come into contact with eggs, they will remain healthy. Now shake hands, and leave the playground as friends or agreeing to disagree. Either way, someone may need help from another down the road, and it would be a shame not to help over a petty mixing of words. We are here for the cham's benefit, let's not forget.

What is your point ?

I believe the point is, people have used the powder to treat moldy eggs...if you sprinkle it in the moldy vermiculite and it were to get in the eggs (even though they are not moldy) it would cause no ill effects.

PNow shake hands, and leave the playground as friends or agreeing to disagree. Either way, someone may need help from another down the road, and it would be a shame not to help over a petty mixing of words. We are here for the cham's benefit, let's not forget.

I don't think there is any disagreement here, just a lack of understanding that I don't think can be overcome.

Forget I posted anything in this thread, move along, nothing to see here.

Back
Top Bottom