Moldy soil?......

jmwhitel

I have 3 live plants (schefflera x2, pothos) in my chams cage. I used miracle grow organic soil. I hand mist about 3-5x/day, and water when needed. Everything seems to be going well. Nemra, my female veiled is happy and healthy, and the plants are growing and vibrant in color. However....

The top of the soil is growing mold. Common sense tells me there isn't enough drainage causing H2O to stagnate and mold. If this is so, how do I increase soil drainage while keeping it cham safe and healthy for my plants?

Pics for reference:
IMG_4711.jpg

IMG_4712.jpg

I've had numerous problems with miracle gro soils and fungus (see the post above for me trying to bake their peat moss to sterilize it). The fungus usually dies down after a month or two, but I found it easier to just switch to another brand of soil.

No fan, but the room has good circulation (a/c)

Ah, no it doesn't. You have mold right?

Screened enclosures having better airflow is practically a myth. Without forced air somehow the air inside the cage will still stagnate, just like a stuffy room. Unless of course you are saying the AC blows directly on the cage, which I hope you aren't saying that.

If im not mistaken, the plant on the left is a toxic plant Schefflera actinophylla. the Schefflera on the right is the safe one. Also, if you have millipedes and flies get it out ASAP. the milipedes do no harm but the flies will make you miserable. I had the same deal and i did not do anything about it fast enough... The gnats are everywhere now!

Yeah arborincola being the most accepted for enclosure use... I wouldn't take the chance with anything else because they are pretty toxic to your cham.

the tree on the left is commonly referred to as the money tree and it is safe for chams, as far as the mold that particular brand uses chicken feces for the organic matter, ive gotten fungas knats, mold and mites from that soil and no longer use it.

You may want to aerate your soil by using a small diameter stick or rod poking it into the soil deep several times in random locations. This will give you better oxygen where you need it, the roots. If you have mold on top it's likely the roots may get sick so get a fan on it and aerate that plant quickly.

Reactions: Hoj
Thx for all the suggestions! I will change the soil out this weekend. I thought all scheffleras were safe, but who knows:confused:

Is there a specific soil, available at lowes, or home depot that ya'll could suggest?

Unfortunately most of the organic soils at home depot and lowes are going to have the chicken manure. Kellogg patio plus is awesome, but it's for outside use only because it will breed a ton of fungus gnats. I usually just make my own using the non miracle gro peat moss from lowes.

I too use the Miracle Grow organic soil. I have a bad gnat problem. I remember seeing one and now there is at least 30-40. Neither of the plants seemed to have gnats when I brought them home, and we never had them until the plants got here. They are only in the room with the plants too. I've tried the vinegar and soap thing, caught one. And I've killed at least 20 with my own hands. These things are smart! I never thought about it coming from the soil. It was kept outside at Home Depot. What else should I use? I hope it's not too late to re-pot the plants and help decrease the gnats. The bug the crap out of me and my Cham. But nothing seems to be working. I have yet to see mold OP. What can we do?

unfortunately there isnt much else. i am currently battling hundreds on gnats lol...its a long battle, just have to be patient and try to eliminate anything they will reproduce on. Mind you, one single gnat can live up to 5 months. each laying up to 200 eggs!!!

Well dang. This sucks. I never really had a gnat infestation problem. They are getting smarter too. They are now going up my nose and I'm pretty sure one went in my ear the other day. Lol. God knows how many go into my body while I sleep. I think I've only caught two with the vinegar. The only reason they are here is my two plants for my Chameleon. And I can't really eliminate those. I'm sure if I repot, the ones left in my room will just procreate in the new soil.

Has anyone ever tried covering there soil with a fine mesh to help with the gnat problems?

You could then place the plants in a plastic bag and treat with co2 to kill the little blighters off!

Not really on point, but you are using Miracle Gro? You haven't had any issues with your animals?

IIRC, even their "organic" soil has some weird ferts in it no? I have tried using 2 diff brands of soil from Home Depot and they have both gotten infested with gnats (tho i didn't use the miracle gro; i've had trouble with "kelloggs" and another brand i dont recall). Since then, I use FOX FARMS OCEAN SOIL (blue bag) which is the BEST "potting" soil I have ever found and apparently it is the soil of choice for pro pot growers so I'm confident its good. Been using it for about 8 months now, not a bug in sight, and the soil noticeably gives me better plant growth. I def recommend it! (and its only $12 for a 1.5cu foot bag at the local hydroponic shop)

For those with the GNAT problem : Get some NEEM OIL, water it down and soak everything. It primarily helps by making a soapy film on the leaves/etc which prevents the bugs from nesting/breeding.

If your soil is infested, a major drowning sometimes works, but usually I find it time to replant the entire thing (and make sure to wash the roots REALLY well so you don't bring any new gnats over with you)

I can't say I've ever run into this problem in my cham cages, but in my indoor greenhouse it is quite often an issue.

EDIT: CO2 bombing does work great but you need to put your plants in an enclosed spot (I suggest a small glass tank) and of course make sure no animals are around. Since CO2 is heavier than air it'll sink right down and kill them all without hurting your plants. This is a common technique in the dart frog hobby.

Whatever soil you use make sure it has been irradiated. The irradiation process will sterilize the soil and kill everything living in it. I have used miracle grow indoor plant soil in my potted plants for 20 years in my chameleon enclosure without issue. Miracle grow irradiates their bagged soils and doesn't have bugs.

Those who say regular miracle grow soil can kill your chameleons please show the scientific evidence that supports your claim. I don't suggest feeding your cham fertilizer but having plant food in the soil WON'T kill your Cham.

Whatever soil you use make sure it has been irradiated. The irradiation process will sterilize the soil and kill everything living in it. I have used miracle grow indoor plant soil in my potted plants for 20 years in my chameleon enclosure without issue. Miracle grow irradiates their bagged soils and doesn't have bugs.

Those who say regular miracle grow soil can kill your chameleons please show the scientific evidence that supports your claim. I don't suggest feeding your cham fertilizer but having plant food in the soil WON'T kill your Cham.

I completely agree. In fact, I do lightly fertilize my plants as well. It is good to hear that you have first hand experience with it and no problems. Do you use the organic miracle gro or the "main" stuff?

I think some of the stigma against ferts (at least personally speaking) is from amphibian keeping; for those animals it does make a difference, but you have a very valid point that chameleons do not absorb these chemicals in any meaningful way (short of possible ingestion).

I didn't mean to imply that fertilizers were bad at all....the fox farms soil I suggested is packed with organic ferts :) I am still a bit hesitant on ferts as a whole (but esp non-organic ones)....I don't mean to claim they are toxic by any means, but I don't know how comfortable I am with the thought that they aren't toxic at all, either. I'd love to see some research on this !

In particular, I am curious about the possible effects on females digging or laying in a heavily fertilized substrate, although that may be an entirely separate issue. Or any potential evaporation/air release issues that could be of concern for users with glass tanks.

Back
Top Bottom