moldy orange question!

I came home from not being home for two days and to find some moldy oranges in my cricket tank! And i as wondering if it is safe to feed my chameleons the same crickets! There are also carrots in there aswell!

Attachments

• 20140803_134900.jpg
    20140803_134900.jpg
    251.5 KB · Views: 129
Carrots

The carrots are perfect for feeding the crickets. It is called gut loading or gut feeding. It means that the crickets will provide extra nutrients for the chameleon once they eat it. :)

I came home from not being home for two days and to find some moldy oranges in my cricket tank! And i as wondering if it is safe to feed my chameleons the same crickets! There are also carrots in there aswell!

You are fine to feed the crickets. Just toss the moldy food. I feed oranges to all of our bugs every day. I replace them daily if not totally eaten to prevent the mold.

I also added some more ventilation holes in the tub that I have the crickets in and found that the oranges lasted longer without molding due to the better airflow and lower humidity.

Make sure to keep them away from contacting any dry food or egg cartons, etc... They can absorb it like a paper towel does, which could lead to issues. I put my fruits and veggies on opposite sides of the container from the dry foods.

Back
Top Bottom