Mold/Rot resistant dowels. Help me please :)

Beman

Social Media Manager
Staff member
Hi Everyone. I would love feedback on this. I am needing to get dowels to attach to my dragon ledges... Since this will be the main outside structure that everything else will attach to I need it to be strong and be able to handle water without molding. The new enclosure will be heavily plants so there will be areas that might hold the moisture more. I don't want to have to replace main parts of the structure. So I found some info online for strong rot resistant woods. But I am wondering with all the knowledgeable people on here what your opinions are. I live on the coast in Northern CA and can't tell an oak from a redwood tree so going out and getting wood will not work for me. Plus we have been getting tons of rain the past month and everything is just soaked. I need long rods and these would not fit in an oven to dry them out.

I found this site https://shop.midwestdowel.com/shop/dowels-15/
They have multiple types of dowels. Some like the Teak are just way out of my price range. None of them are treated with anything and they will cut them to the size I need specifically so that they are smooth on the ends. I read that Mahogany is extremely rot resistant and that white Oak is rot resistant but Mahogany is better. But I am reading this on building sites lol. Help please my brain is on overload lol.
Poplar
Maple
Red Oak
White Oak
Cherry
Hickory
Walnut
Ash
Mahogany
Teak

Ok another idea... what about using half inch pvc pipe for my support pieces in the frame? These would be up against the perimeter of the cage not a part of the walking paths. And would not be holding the weight from pots just attachment areas for my vines to better utilize the whole enclosure. Easily cleanable and will handle the moisture and dry out easily? :)

Back
Top Bottom