Moes new home...

rotarhead

Moe has now officially spent one full day in his new enclosure. It is a 2'X2'X4' screen cage from DIY cages. It has four live plants inside, one umbrella plant, two different types of dracaena's, and a golden pothos. Lighting is a 5.0 UVB Repti Glo 18" bulb, basking light is a 50 watt basking bulb. The only issue I have had so far is the vast difference in humidity from where the plants are to the top of the cage. The bottom of the cage stays about 40%-50% humidity (without misting) and the top stays about 10% to 15%. However, with a good misting I can get it to climb to 40% for at least a little while. Anyway, I'm attaching some pictures for your enjoyment. Feel free to tell me what you think, share advice/concerns, etc. He seems happy so far.

NOTE: The extra lights on top were for picture purposes. My roommate took it off of the exo terra because she felt he was getting cold but I'm not planning on keeping it there. Ambient temp stays between 75 and 80 while the basking spot averages anywhere from 86-88 degree's without them.

IMAG0253.jpg

IMAG0254.jpg

IMAG0256.jpg

IMAG0257.jpg

I would recommend getting a taller plant or hanging your pothos. A few more horizontal vines and branches closer to the top (about 6 to 8 inches down) would be nice for Moe too.

I thought about that but how would I do it without messing up the screen? I doubt the screen on the top of the cage could hold it. I'm all ears on making it even better for him.

You would need to run a support bar made of wood or steel on top of the cage on the outside to hold the weight of the plant. From the inside of the cage you can put a hook into the bar to hang the plant. I'll see if I can find a picture.

Okay, I'll look into it. Maybe I can make something that will go over the cage (that doesn't hang from the cieling) and attach the pathos that way. I'll have to play around a little with it.

Back
Top Bottom