Moe passed away

bobbydigital

Avid Member
It is with a heavy heart that I announce that Moe, my male veiled has passed away.

He was rescued from petco on Sep 25th, 2016. He was being kept in poor conditions, and was the very last available chameleon since that particular store was shutting down and they were having a sale on everything. I just had my female panther from petco pass away a month before, she had a issue where she was spitting her tongue out and choking on it, then biting on it. I would have to pry her mouth open and push it back in with a credit card. She bit off her tongue and after having to force feed her omnivore care and mushed up crickets and worms she died 3 weeks later. So I had an empty enclosure and brought Moe home.

After a few months I noticed him avoiding using his leg, and it started to swell up. I took him to Dr. Greek and he was diagnosed with gout. I gave him oral meds every day from that day on until the day he passed. He seemed to be doing great, thriving in his enclosure eating, drinking and getting plenty of outdoor sunlight. A few months ago he slowly started to be unable to use his tail, it just became limp, no discoloration and i was told it was not dead. Just a symptom of his gout. About three weeks ago I noticed him falling several times a day. I work all day and would come home to him at the bottom of his cage, very cold and would place him in his basking spot to warm up and get some food in his system. I knew that was a red flag, and immediately called for a vet appointment. Dr. Greek checked him out and said it definitely wasn't a calcium deficiency, his bones were strong, and he was surprised at how well his condition was despite having gout. He told me to accommodate him being on the bottom of the cage for the time being, congratulated me on keeping him alive this long and sent me on my way. I knew Moe wouldn't make it much longer, he started falling on his side and not even bothering to recover. His eyes would be closed, while he was upside down on the bottom of the cage. I turned the enclosure on its side to help him from falling so high, and made a couple adjustments. I knew he was on his way out and figured I'd let him die peacefully overnight. 4 days later, today I come home from work and take him outside with me while I hold him and get some sun. His grip was very weak and I saw his body start to shut down. I held him and ushered him into death, just like my last chameleon. So sad, but relief that he is no longer suffering or in pain. I knew that was no quality of life to live and was going to schedule an appointment this weekend to put him down.

I can't help but think just like before, what I could've done better. But it seems I can only do so much when getting a rescue. Dr. Greek told me Moe was most likely born with the gout since it wasn't from the feeders I gave him. I'm very thankful and appreciative for this forum and all the members who have helped me along the way. I've learned so much and I am forever grateful for you all. Time to deep clean everything and get ready for the next one. Rest in peace my little guy he was the sweetest ever. Never bit or hissed at me and always tolerated me. I was truly blessed with him. I'm sorry for making this so long, and once again thank you all.

20160824_201737.jpg
20160824_201726.jpg
20170304_194136.jpg
20170605_014727.jpg
20180203_193727.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom