Mites!?

Just detritus mites, common and harmless, usually when excess moisture/food are present. Nothing to worry about, they tend to clear out after a while too. Only time I don't like them is with my snails because they crawl over the shells and annoy them. They only feed on rotting matter, they don't hurt anything, can just be annoying. In this case, absolutely nothing to worry about.

As for springtails, they tend to pop up in soil overtime, very easy for the eggs to hitch in.
I heard adding spring tails could help control soil gnat problems because the springtails should out compete them, thoughts?

I heard adding spring tails could help control soil gnat problems because the springtails should out compete them, thoughts?

It's hard to say for certain, the soil gnats always seem to run their course. It might be because they get outcompete by isopods/springtails, but it might also be that by the time the CuC establishes, the soil gnats finished whatever it was they were eating. I've had some realllllly horrible soil gnat blow ups a few years ago. I just got some carnivorous plants, sundews in particular. Never noticed them again.

Back
Top Bottom