Mites on crickets

Get some mite spray (in the bird section in pet stores), and lay down paper towels under where you have your cricket bin. Spray down the paper towels with the mite spray and then put the fully cleaned cricket bin on top. Mites are a royal pain - stay on top of cleaning your cricket cage and you should be just fine. Good luck!

What do they look like?
They are tiny little white specks. If you get close enough you can see them moving. You'll generally see them around the lid and sides of a container. I keep my crickets in a 10 gallon tank and when I'd get them I'd first notice them on the sides of the lid because it's black. If you run your hand over them it almost feels like sand, but not as "sharp". They are a royal pain. Cleaning, and I CAREFULLY clean with bleach along the lid where the crickets can't possibly walk into and then have on themselves.

Isn't it fun when our bugs make other bug friends? I came out to my cricket container last week to find about 20 1-2 inch long caterpillars rummaging about, I feed my crickets daily and these things appeared overnight!

They are tiny little white specks. If you get close enough you can see them moving. You'll generally see them around the lid and sides of a container. I keep my crickets in a 10 gallon tank and when I'd get them I'd first notice them on the sides of the lid because it's black. If you run your hand over them it almost feels like sand, but not as "sharp". They are a royal pain. Cleaning, and I CAREFULLY clean with bleach along the lid where the crickets can't possibly walk into and then have on themselves.
Can they harm humans, like scabies?

I don't think so, but I thoroughly wash my hands and forearms after dealing with them because of the ick factor. Sorry, I'm a girl :p

I'm the same way, but I'm a doctor, lol. Obviously I'm a doctor with very little dermatology training.

Thanks!

Demersal beetles are great clean up crews for crickets and roaches. They wont remove mites but help prevent outbreaks by eating dead insects. They also reduce the smell from the colonies and greatly incress the hygen in the bins.

You have grain mites. They will destroy mealworm populations, but are only for dubia and crickets. Start by removing all grains and water sources. Then rotate out the veg daily. They should die off in 2-3 weeks.

You have grain mites. They will destroy mealworm populations, but are only for dubia and crickets. Start by removing all grains and water sources. Then rotate out the veg daily. They should die off in 2-3 weeks.
I tossed the bucket and crickets. Started fresh in a new container and crickets.

Back
Top Bottom