mistking

xxaprilrose

Established Member
I have finally finished my enclosure! (pics coming soon) however today I will be setting up my mistking as the last step. I got the starter kit and it only has one nozzle. Any suggestions for experienced mistking users on where I should place the nozzle? I want to avoid getting water on the stand as the stand I have it on is a wooden desk and my dumb self didnt even think of placing a towel or something underneath it. I do however have foam back panels (its a terrarium backdrop thing) and then 2 vinyl sides but they are magnetized outside of the cage so there will be a slight gap that the water can technically run down and get onto the desk. But my though is maybe putting it in the middle and point a tad downwards or putting it in one of the corners and just sacrifise one of the sides? Or should I just buy another nozzle and place in both corners and have them facing the middle like neptune the chameleon? Lol i am unsure. any help thank u!

You will want to figure some sort of drainage system underneath the cage while using a mistking, it's gonna ruin your wooden stand if you don't. Might want to apply waterproof paint on the stand to keep it from being damaged as well, if this is where the cage has to be. I place the nozzles either directly in the middle, or on the sides of the cage. The middle is usually if I'm using a double headed nozzle that way I can point the nozzles in any direction I want the mist to go. Single heads are usually placed at the corners pointing towards the most densely planted part of my chams cage so that the water can collect there as well as allow humidity to increase more. Usually I have the mistking nozzles pointed toward plants and foliage and away from the basking branches that way there's a dry and wet side. Chams don't really like getting misted directly so I just like to provide them a part of the cage where they don't have to worry about getting blasted by the mist when it goes off.

You will want to find something that'll protect the wooden desk from water damage over time if it hasn't already been. If it hasn't, seal the wood with coating of polyurethane, varnish, or lacquer. Then you'll wanna finish and waterproof the wood simultaneously with a stain-sealant combo. After that you'll still want to find a good way to collect the dirty water that falls to the bottom. I use racks, place a Tupperware at the bottom underneath the cage, and drill holes in the plastic piece placed at the bottom so water doesn't collect and sit there. Things will become gross quickly w/o proper ventilation and drainage in the cage w/ the poop and all the other stuff that overtime falls to the bottom of the cage. mix that with stagnate water, you have a breeding ground for bacteria and other harmful germs that can make your cham really sick.

You will want to figure some sort of drainage system underneath the cage while using a mistking, it's gonna ruin your wooden stand if you don't. Might want to apply waterproof paint on the stand to keep it from being damaged as well, if this is where the cage has to be. I place the nozzles either directly in the middle, or on the sides of the cage. The middle is usually if I'm using a double headed nozzle that way I can point the nozzles in any direction I want the mist to go. Single heads are usually placed at the corners pointing towards the most densely planted part of my chams cage so that the water can collect there as well as allow humidity to increase more. Usually I have the mistking nozzles pointed toward plants and foliage and away from the basking branches that way there's a dry and wet side. Chams don't really like getting misted directly so I just like to provide them a part of the cage where they don't have to worry about getting blasted by the mist when it goes off.

You will want to find something that'll protect the wooden desk from water damage over time if it hasn't already been. If it hasn't, seal the wood with coating of polyurethane, varnish, or lacquer. Then you'll wanna finish and waterproof the wood simultaneously with a stain-sealant combo. After that you'll still want to find a good way to collect the dirty water that falls to the bottom. I use racks, place a Tupperware at the bottom underneath the cage, and drill holes in the plastic piece placed at the bottom so water doesn't collect and sit there. Things will become gross quickly w/o proper ventilation and drainage in the cage w/ the poop and all the other stuff that overtime falls to the bottom of the cage. mix that with stagnate water, you have a breeding ground for bacteria and other harmful germs that can make your cham really sick.
This is excellent info! Thanks so much! I should have mentioned that I do have a drain tray at the bottom of the cage. It’s only a few inches high though but it’s something. (Attached a pic of what I have). The desk is also stained and I do believe it’s water resistant but not entirely sure. But this helps! I’ll put it in the corner and aim it towards the middle. Thanks so much 😌
902ED4DA-C639-4BE6-86F8-BEB34F94C3FE.png

Can you show a picture of the whole thing including the drain tray? I see the pictures in the other post but cant see the bottom.

Back
Top Bottom