Mistking water question

Oh wow! Good to know. I'll have to figure out the frequency & duration of misting that is required to keep my chams enclosure humid enough. Then I'll figure out whether a purification system is worth it after that.. Which will depend on how often I need to fill my misting resorvoir. Thank you!
What size is your reservoir? I just did the 5 gal bucket from lowes, that way i can put a whole 5 gal jug in and i don't have to refill for a while. Clean once every 2 weeks.

Oh wow! Good to know. I'll have to figure out the frequency & duration of misting that is required to keep my chams enclosure humid enough. Then I'll figure out whether a purification system is worth it after that.. Which will depend on how often I need to fill my misting resorvoir. Thank you!
So honestly your not going to be misting a ton. I run 3 enclosures with a total of 8 misting nozzles. I go through 6 gallons of water a week.

So honestly your not going to be misting a ton. I run 3 enclosures with a total of 8 misting nozzles. I go through 6 gallons of water a week.
Yes he is also going to be moved to the DS hybrid which will DEFINITELY hold humidity better than my current setup so i am already prepared to drop my times. My current setup isn't sealed properly so i have to mist more frequently to get my correct levels ?‍♂️

Oh that's good to know! So I probably don't need to invest in a distiller or RO system at this time. I read about peoppe using Brita filters.. I wonder if that's sufficient?

Oh that's good to know! So I probably don't need to invest in a distiller or RO system at this time. I read about peoppe using Brita filters.. I wonder if that's sufficient?
So your misting will be reduced specifically during the day when your cage is hot from lights you do not want to mist. But prior to and after lights and having your basking fixture running a shorter time then your T5's is better then you can mist in the evening before your T5 kicks off because the cage has cooled back down. Your length will depend on your species and it's requirements and your ambient environment. But honestly the last thing I would spend money on is an RO or distilled water system. I have heard about using the brita filters. But I do not know the long term effectiveness of how well it works to pull the yuck out of the water that messes with nozzles and equipment running correctly. Your money would be better put to other equipment IMO.

So your misting will be reduced specifically during the day when your cage is hot from lights you do not want to mist. But prior to and after lights and having your basking fixture running a shorter time then your T5's is better then you can mist in the evening before your T5 kicks off because the cage has cooled back down. Your length will depend on your species and it's requirements and your ambient environment. But honestly the last thing I would spend money on is an RO or distilled water system. I have heard about using the brita filters. But I do not know the long term effectiveness of how well it works to pull the yuck out of the water that messes with nozzles and equipment running correctly. Your money would be better put to other equipment IMO.

Interesting. I didn't realize that I'd be misting less when the lights are on. I know that water droplets getting on the light can cause it to shatter but I never had this problem in the past.. I just have the misters point away from the lights. Good to know though. Hopefully, with natural plants inside, I'll be able to maintain enough moisture in there. My misting system can be set to go off every x amount of hours.. So i suppose I can just turn it off during the day if it's humid enough and turn it on intermittently if needed during the day.

So before purchasing my future panther I'm going to be investing in a mistking. Now my concern is the water we have to use. I read its recommended to use distilled water and where does everyone get it from cuz at walmart the other day the distilled water gallons were all wiped out so thought if I had the mistking what would I do then? I do know regular water will clog the spray heads so not to use that. What are people using or getting it from so I can prepare myself
Before you spend any money, it’d be good to know whether your mains supply is particularly hard or relatively soft. I’m sure I’ll be crucified for this, but all my misters are tapped straight into my mains supply. I haven’t had a clogged nozzle in 3 years.

Before you spend any money, it’d be good to know whether your mains supply is particularly hard or relatively soft. I’m sure I’ll be crucified for this, but all my misters are tapped straight into my mains supply. I haven’t had a clogged nozzle in 3 years.

Oh it's cool. The breeder & shop owner that I'm buying my cham from this weekend actually said that many people do this without a problem. He told me using water filtered via a Brita filter should be good enough too! So that's exciting. I'm going to get some distilled water first then eventually do the Brita thing.

Interesting. I didn't realize that I'd be misting less when the lights are on. I know that water droplets getting on the light can cause it to shatter but I never had this problem in the past.. I just have the misters point away from the lights. Good to know though. Hopefully, with natural plants inside, I'll be able to maintain enough moisture in there. My misting system can be set to go off every x amount of hours.. So i suppose I can just turn it off during the day if it's humid enough and turn it on intermittently if needed during the day.
What kind of chameleon are you getting? That will determine your humidity levels.

What kind of chameleon are you getting? That will determine your humidity levels.

I'm getting a male panther, so I know it has to be around 75%-90% humidity. I plan on having 3 live plants in there, so hopefully they will help retain some humidity. I have a screen enclosure (2x2x4) so I'll definitely need the plants and frequent misting to maintain the humidity. The back of the enclosure will have exoterra foam (that one that looks like wood/logs) so that's one side "closed off" so to speak. The other 3 sides of the screen will be open to air flow. If I'm unable to maintain humidity with this setup, I'll consider blocking off the lower half of the left & right sides with a light diffuser panels.

I'm getting a male panther, so I know it has to be around 75%-90% humidity. I plan on having 3 live plants in there, so hopefully they will help retain some humidity. I have a screen enclosure (2x2x4) so I'll definitely need the plants and frequent misting to maintain the humidity. The back of the enclosure will have exoterra foam (that one that looks like wood/logs) so that's one side "closed off" so to speak. The other 3 sides of the screen will be open to air flow. If I'm unable to maintain humidity with this setup, I'll consider blocking off the lower half of the left & right sides with a light diffuser panels.

Good plan, i have a male fucifer paradalis?(idk if i spelled it right) he is an ABSOLUTE SWEETHEART!❤ I couldn't be happier! ?

You could also get the acrylic sheeting from home depot or lowes and use silicone to seal if, or the old shower curtain/garbage bags that worked for me when i was in a jam and a lower budget.

Attachments

• 20200814_222253.jpg
    20200814_222253.jpg
    212 KB · Views: 86
Actually just checked (I haven’t yet memorized panther husbandry) and their humidity should be between 50-70% during the day. Can/should be much higher only at night when temps are cooler. :)

Good plan, i have a male fucifer paradalis?(idk if i spelled it right) he is an ABSOLUTE SWEETHEART!❤ I couldn't be happier! ?

You could also get the acrylic sheeting from home depot or lowes and use silicone to seal if, or the old shower curtain/garbage bags that worked for me when i was in a jam and a lower budget.

YESS I love panthers. I have my last one 10 years ago and I've been wanting another since but I'm a military wife & have traveled too much. Now that we know we'll be in one state for a while, I'm getting another one. I'm going to pick him out tomorrow. I have an awesome plan for his enclosure. I'll be sure to post pics on here when it's all set up and he arrives in his new home! ? I'm still debating on names. I think I like "Zuki". My last panther was named Benjamin lol. Ironically, my sister named her son Benjamin years later, haha.

Hi I bought a water distiller as it works out cheaper and more convenient that hauling bottles. But distilled water and ro are not the same distilling water does not remove all chemicals. Distilling takes time and electricity my distiller is 750 watts and takes over 4 hrs for 4 liters. So ro system would be best in the long run imo

Hi I bought a water distiller as it works out cheaper and more convenient that hauling bottles. But distilled water and ro are not the same distilling water does not remove all chemicals. Distilling takes time and electricity my distiller is 750 watts and takes over 4 hrs for 4 liters. So ro system would be best in the long run imo

What RO system do you use?

I don't currently have one just a distiller. It was only last week that I came across an article about the diff between distilled and ro. Depending on brands ro system will must likely to cost more up front but you will have better water imo and lots of it and no electric bill. May I ask are you in UK. My brother in law is heating tech so he'll be getting a call . Lol

Back
Top Bottom