Mistking timer retains water

kelly_girl199

Avid Member
really disappointed that I have only had my Mistking for a few months and apparently the timer collected water and is now dead. It's so upset. I contacted the company but they won't do a thing. Don't buy this thing!!waste of money if the timer just breaks so easily !!!i will have to go back to just a dripper and humidifier I guess. I'm not paying another 50 plus 15$ shipping all for a timer.

really disappointed that I have only had my Mistking for a few months and apparently the timer collected water and is now dead. It's so upset. I contacted the company but they won't do a thing. Don't buy this thing!!waste of money if the timer just breaks so easily !!!i will have to go back to just a dripper and humidifier I guess. I'm not paying another 50 plus 15$ shipping all for a timer.

How did the timer get wet? I would just go to the hardware store or on amazon and buy a new digital timer. They're pretty inexpensive. Just make sure it can be set for the time increments you want.

Umm, how the heck did you get water in it? It's an electrical device--you shouldn't get it wet.

Umm, how the heck did you get water in it? It's an electrical device--you shouldn't get it wet.
I really don't know. I put the humidifier on top of the cage and away from the timer. Apparently it collected water from that....but holy cow....those things are around water all the time. They should be waterproof at the price they are.

I've never had a problem with the timers or any of most kings products, been running them for 10+ years. I second what everyone else is saying, if you have water around a socket you should really address that.

I don't have water around a socket. The only thing I have it the mister and a humidifier that runs occasionally through the day

All power cords for any items with water nearby need a loop at the bottom to prevent possible water damage. Did water drip onto it?

All power cords for any items with water nearby need a loop at the bottom to prevent possible water damage. Did water drip onto it?
Regardless...with an item that is pricey and runs around water all the time it should still be somewhat waterproof. I had it right above the cage. It's a 3 ft cage.

Even if it was slightly water proof, which is all they could probably make the timer, the constant humidity from your fogger and the mist that is likely hitting it will destroy it. I agree just replace it with one from a from a hardware store. Mechanical stuff breaks, I have had my mist king for a year and everything is still perfect.

You can use an inexpensive outlet timer, like this Woods timer form $8 at Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006LYHEEY/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Plug the timer into the outlet and set for auto, then program the times for misting.
Remove the Mistking timer and plug the pump cord directly into the power transformer, then plug the power transformer into the outlet timer. If you plugged the Mistking transformer directly into the outlet [after removing the Mistking timer] it would run continuously, so now your outlet timer will control it. So any outlet timer will work.

Programable timers can also be found on eBay for under $10, shipped free.

You can use an inexpensive outlet timer, like this Woods timer form $8 at Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006LYHEEY/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Plug the timer into the outlet and set for auto, then program the times for misting.
Remove the Mistking timer and plug the pump cord directly into the power transformer, then plug the power transformer into the outlet timer. If you plugged the Mistking transformer directly into the outlet [after removing the Mistking timer] it would run continuously, so now your outlet timer will control it. So any outlet timer will work.

Programable timers can also be found on eBay for under $10, shipped free.

Remember that ANY outlet timer would work in the above manner. If you do not have a timer right now, after you remove the Mistking timer [and plug the pump cord into the transformer cord] you can mist manually just by plugging the transformer into your outlet and allowing the pump to run as long as you want, whenever you want, since it will stay running.

Plus you really, really need to address the water issue. In a worst case scenario, water + electricity = house fire.

The Mistking pump electronics and timer are not rated for moisture exposure - they need to be protected from water. "Shoulds" and "ought tos" don't matter. Place them where they won't be exposed to leaks or overspray. Leaks happen, you have to expect that with an animal enclosure and take extra steps to protect sensitive materials (flooring, walls, electronics, etc).

Also, all cords leading to plugs need to have a drip loop to prevent water from running into the outlet. It's easy to forget that this applies to more than just aquariums but all enclosures that use water.

http://www.aquariumtiptank.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/Drip-Loop.jpg

Yeah, this is 100% your fault and not Mist King. If water is getting in the timer, it's a risk of getting into what the timer is PLUGGED INTO.

Don't bad mouth a good company because of your own mistake....this is a huge pet peeve of mine when I see bad comments on Amazon and elsewhere when the company had nothing to do with the problem.

"these things are around water all the time" not THAT part of the system....

Hope you didn't also submerge your pump into water...

Sorry ,but I have lol . How did this happen? The timer has long line to be away from condensation,humidity any avoid any water source. Comes velcro tape so you can hang on a wall and away. Mistking must be scratching there heads.
Besides when it's your fault, why should it be replaced.
Mistking is a Wonderful product Zoo Quality. The next Best thing on the market for lighting UVB UVA is Arcadia Quad T5 24". I use the 12% tube and my distance is kept away about 10" even though the top screen takes away about 30% . When keeping reptiles as pets please give as close to possible natural habitat. Last thing I would like to say ,Todd from Lightyourreptiles thank you so much. Arcadia is a Top Notch product. My 6 month panther chameleon Nosy Faly has brightened up ,your were absolutely right
This is my first Post.

Back
Top Bottom