MistKing nozzles, Dragon Ledge alternatives and plants?

PlanetRemulak

Avid Member
About misting. I’ve got a MistKing starter on the way and am just now realizing it comes with only one nozzle. How many nozzles do any of you here typically like to use for one 2x2x4 enclosure? I’ll be getting a 3 month old panther. With him still being so small, I worry that neither he nor his plants will get proper hydration from a single nozzle. I can and don’t mind ordering a second nozzle, but as this is my first MistKing a I’m a little confused as to how it all works. What parts/pieces are required to attach an additional nozzle?

In regards to dragon ledges.. I want/need some for my Reptibreeze which is scheduled to come tomorrow. Sadly, shipping for a five pack of ledges is killer and I am considering alternatives first. Wondering what anyone here has used as an alternative in their own cages? I’ve seen aluminum framing suggested. Should I decide to go that route, would I be mounting the aluminum pieces over the screen within the cage frame, or would the pieces be mounted to the cage frame itself? I happened to be checking out Framschams‘ Facebook and saw someone mention that they use tomato cages to mount plants to. Really interesting idea, hard to visualize and not sure I’d be able to utilize cage space effectively by going that route.

As a final thought, I’m wondering which of these tends to be harder to keep alive within the cage? A dwarf umbrella, weeping fig or money tree? I haven’t been able to decide if I’d like to get one large central plant with a couple smaller/trailing plants to mount to the side, or forego large plants entirely and mount numerous pothos/trailing plants and branches to either side.

This forum has been a wealth of information and as always, I appreciate the help. Thanks In advance!

One should work in an enclosure that size. As long as you put it in the right place. I've used one when I had my veiled in a enclosure that size. It took a few minutes to get it adjusted right but in the end all my plant had gotten a good watering and my cham seemed happy and well hydrated. But I also used a dripper and hand sprayed the enclosure randomly. Just watch humidity levels. Other people use different methods

If you go with aluminum you will want to mount it to the cage frame.
That is the concept behind the dragon ledges, all the weight is transferred to the frame instead of the flimsy screen.
If you are handy, you could try to do something yourself. But, you'll probably be a little surprised at the cost of materials. Then you have to figure in your time, and any waste if you make mistakes.
I know the shipping seems steep on the ledges. It seems all shipping is right now. But they're packaged well. Make it to you without any issues.
20210623_071859.jpg

(That's how a set of two are shipped.)
I've messed around with other possible alternatives to the DS ledges and have yet to come up with something that is as easy to set up or more importantly looks as good.
The ledges are worth it IMO.

I use one double nozzle in each of my enclosures. You can adjust the direction of mist and I find it works well for me. Mist King’s can look very intimidating to assemble, but they are actually pretty easy. Setting the timer is the hardest part. This should help with that.
I splurged and got Dragon Ledges and find them well worth every cent! However, I’m lacking some of the patience and skills of putting together alternatives. Some have used garden lattice, some have made their own little scaffolds, others foam in a faux background with branches attached, etc etc. However you use to hang things, do make sure to attach it to the frame.

About misting. I’ve got a MistKing starter on the way and am just now realizing it comes with only one nozzle. How many nozzles do any of you here typically like to use for one 2x2x4 enclosure? I’ll be getting a 3 month old panther. With him still being so small, I worry that neither he nor his plants will get proper hydration from a single nozzle. I can and don’t mind ordering a second nozzle, but as this is my first MistKing a I’m a little confused as to how it all works. What parts/pieces are required to attach an additional nozzle?
If you decide on an additional nozzle, I'd get one with a T fitting instead of the L fitting that comes with the kit, and put one in each front corner. The T allows you to connect them in series (no loss of pressure). You'll also need a second mounting bracket.

If you had a hybrid enclosure, I'd say go for an additional nozzle, but there is a possibility of overspray through the screen—it depends on how you aim them.

In regards to dragon ledges.. I want/need some for my Reptibreeze which is scheduled to come tomorrow. Sadly, shipping for a five pack of ledges is killer and I am considering alternatives first. Wondering what anyone here has used as an alternative in their own cages? I’ve seen aluminum framing suggested. Should I decide to go that route, would I be mounting the aluminum pieces over the screen within the cage frame, or would the pieces be mounted to the cage frame itself? I happened to be checking out Framschams‘ Facebook and saw someone mention that they use tomato cages to mount plants to. Really interesting idea, hard to visualize and not sure I’d be able to utilize cage space effectively by going that route.
Tomato cage sounds intriguing; my guess would be square cages, but IDK. I would still want it anchored to the frame via zip-ties. Did they mention any rusting over time?
Goat fence might be another option.

Aluminum stock would go on the inside, screwed to the inside of the frame w/ stainless sheet metal screws. Measure the distance between front & back precisely, and cut the members 1/8" shorter (leaving 1/16" clearance on either side. If the aluminum is too close to the mesh, you can space it out with stainless steel washers, hex nuts, or spacers, and use longer screws.

Another method is building a trellis of wooden dowels or bamboo stakes.
https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/uvb-light-fixture.179591/#post-1622228

Untreated wooden or vinyl lattice is another option.

Still another is ceiling egg crate.

As a final thought, I’m wondering which of these tends to be harder to keep alive within the cage? A dwarf umbrella, weeping fig or money tree? I haven’t been able to decide if I’d like to get one large central plant with a couple smaller/trailing plants to mount to the side, or forego large plants entirely and mount numerous pothos/trailing plants and branches to either side.
That's probably personal preference. I like the centerpiece and filling in around it with smaller climbing, trailing, and accent plants. I've used weeping fig (Ficus benjamina), dwarf umbrella (Schefflera arboricola), and mass cane (Dracaena fragrans). Unfortunately the Ficus got some kind of parasites and perished, but previous to that, all three did very well.

If you go with aluminum you will want to mount it to the cage frame.
That is the concept behind the dragon ledges, all the weight is transferred to the frame instead of the flimsy screen.
If you are handy, you could try to do something yourself. But, you'll probably be a little surprised at the cost of materials. Then you have to figure in your time, and any waste if you make mistakes.
I know the shipping seems steep on the ledges. It seems all shipping is right now. But they're packaged well. Make it to you without any issues.
View attachment 304149
(That's how a set of two are shipped.)
I've messed around with other possible alternatives to the DS ledges and have yet to come up with something that is as easy to set up or more importantly looks as good.
The ledges are worth it IMO.
Thank you for taking the time to respond! you make some good points.. I’m not so much handy as I am (stubbornly) determined. Unfortunately, that doesn’t always equate to getting the job done right. There’s nothing like getting chameleon supplies made right the first time, and all the handy work has been done for you. You are definitely not wrong to say that shipping is steep on everything lately (though it’s made even worse by sales tax in California/sales tax in ANY state that charges it.. which I suppose is nearly all of them). I’m.. probably just going to break down and get some actual Dragon Ledges. 😣

One should work in an enclosure that size. As long as you put it in the right place. I've used one when I had my veiled in a enclosure that size. It took a few minutes to get it adjusted right but in the end all my plant had gotten a good watering and my cham seemed happy and well hydrated. But I also used a dripper and hand sprayed the enclosure randomly. Just watch humidity levels. Other people use different methods
Can I ask where in your cage your nozzle ended up? What are your misting schedules like now, and do you still hand mist for added reassurance? I have an all screen Reptibreeze, so I think watching humidity levels is definitely good advice. I’m pretty sure humidity and cooler evening temperatures will be my biggest challenges (looking into a portable AC to remedy the latter). Thank you so much for your input!

I use one double nozzle in each of my enclosures. You can adjust the direction of mist and I find it works well for me. Mist King’s can look very intimidating to assemble, but they are actually pretty easy. Setting the timer is the hardest part. This should help with that.
I splurged and got Dragon Ledges and find them well worth every cent! However, I’m lacking some of the patience and skills of putting together alternatives. Some have used garden lattice, some have made their own little scaffolds, others foam in a faux background with branches attached, etc etc. However you use to hang things, do make sure to attach it to the frame.

Thank you so much for the reassurance! I have yet to even *see* a MistKing in person, and I definitely find the idea of setting one up to be a bit daunting. I so appreciate the link to the timer set up video! That will almost more than likely make it so I don’t have to come back here and ask ten thousand MORE questions. I’d never even considered garden lattice to mount plants and branches from! Depending on the cost of supplies and ease of use, I might go that route first. 🤔

If you decide on an additional nozzle, I'd get one with a T fitting instead of the L fitting that comes with the kit, and put one in each front corner. The T allows you to connect them in series (no loss of pressure). You'll also need a second mounting bracket.

If you had a hybrid enclosure, I'd say go for an additional nozzle, but there is a possibility of overspray through the screen—it depends on how you aim them.

Tomato cage sounds intriguing; my guess would be square cages, but IDK. I would still want it anchored to the frame via zip-ties. Did they mention any rusting over time?
Goat fence might be another option.

Aluminum stock would go on the inside, screwed to the inside of the frame w/ stainless sheet metal screws. Measure the distance between front & back precisely, and cut the members 1/8" shorter (leaving 1/16" clearance on either side. If the aluminum is too close to the mesh, you can space it out with stainless steel washers, hex nuts, or spacers, and use longer screws.

Another method is building a trellis of wooden dowels or bamboo stakes.
https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/uvb-light-fixture.179591/#post-1622228

Untreated wooden or vinyl lattice is another option.

Still another is ceiling egg crate.

That's probably personal preference. I like the centerpiece and filling in around it with smaller climbing, trailing, and accent plants. I've used weeping fig (Ficus benjamina), dwarf umbrella (Schefflera arboricola), and mass cane (Dracaena fragrans). Unfortunately the Ficus got some kind of parasites and perished, but previous to that, all three did very well.
This might sound like a really stupid question, but for dual nozzles would I be attaching the T fitting as opposed to the L fitting that comes standard with the starter kit? As it stands, I have an all screen enclosure. I definitely do intend to enclose the walls in vinyl shower curtain or corrugated plastic, though (I suspect that keeping the humidity in will be too much of a challenge if I don’t at least attempt to do either of those things). Based on that, I’m thinking a second nozzle wouldn’t be a bad idea.

The person that mentioned using tomato caging to mount their chameleon’s furniture from did in fact mention rusting. They said they simply replace the tomato cage when it rusts, which I suppose wouldn’t be too much of a hardship. It probably isn’t the most feasible thing either though, especially if you’re having to buy and replace them regularly (sadly I can’t make use of any extra tomato caging around the house - I don’t grow anything on vines beyond pothos plants). I’d also be concerned about my chameleon drinking droplets of water off rusted metal, but that could just be me being paranoid. I certainly appreciate all the information regarding aluminum stock as an option! I just don’t know that I’m quite handy enough 😂 to begin with, I’d have to ask around For help cutting the aluminum (nothing here to cut it with). As far as the untreated lattice goes, MissSkittles brought it up and I am definitely considering it! Would I be asking the hardware store for untreated vinyl lattice specifically? What makes it treated (I assume paint for color)? Once again, ceiling egg crate is an idea I would have never even considered. 😮

Great to know you had relatively good luck with any of those particular plants, sans the parasites. What a bummer! I recall trying a ficus in my first chameleon’s enclosure many, many moons ago. It.. did not go well. It was incredibly finicky and I swear it dropped leaves just to spite me for putting it in there with him (it wasn’t until after I learned that veiled chameleons tend to much on leaves that I took it out, and it shot up to 6 feet tall on the patio). I got a grow light and am hoping to have better luck this time around, but am thinking a schefflera may be the better way to go.

Thank you again, @Klyde O'Scope! I always appreciate your suggestions and thorough replies!

Last edited:
This might sound like a really stupid question, but for dual nozzles would I be attaching the T fitting as opposed to the L fitting that comes standard with the starter kit? As it stands, I have an all screen enclosure. I definitely do intend to enclose the walls in vinyl shower curtain or corrugated plastic, though (I suspect that keeping the humidity in will be too much of a challenge if I don’t at least attempt to do either of those things). Based on that, I’m thinking a second nozzle wouldn’t be a bad idea.
The MistKing starter kit comes with this nozzle:
clips are from their site; I've circled the L fitting.
1624541180569.png

The additional nozzle I mentioned would be this:
1624541429894.png

This is the same nozzle—available separately—with a T fitting.
Hooking it up is relatively simple (Tinker Toy/Erector Set/Lego simple).
Tubing from the pump goes into one side of the T, and out the other side, and continues to the L on the other nozzle.

There are other ways of doing this; the double nozzle MissSkittles mentioned, and possibly others.

The person that mentioned using tomato caging to mount their chameleon’s furniture from did in fact mention rusting. They said they simply replace the tomato cage when it rusts, which I suppose wouldn’t be too much of a hardship. It probably isn’t the most feasible thing either though, especially if you’re having to buy and replace them regularly (sadly I can’t make use of any extra tomato caging around the house - I don’t grow anything on vines beyond pothos plants). I’d also be concerned about my chameleon drinking droplets of water off rusted metal, but that could just be me being paranoid.
Then use plastic coated tomato cages or something like plastic coated goat wire (stainless steel is probably available, but usually quite expensive).

I certainly appreciate all the information regarding aluminum stock as an option! I just don’t know that I’m quite handy enough 😂 to begin with, I’d have to ask around For help cutting the aluminum (nothing here to cut it with). As far as the untreated lattice goes, MissSkittles brought it up and I am definitely considering it! Would I be asking the hardware store for untreated vinyl lattice specifically? What makes it treated (I assume paint for color)? Once again, ceiling egg crate is an idea I would have never even considered. 😮
All that's needed to cut aluminum stock is a hacksaw. You probably have a friend, neighbor, or relative that has one.

Wood lattice and other wood items intended for outdoor use are treated with chemicals to retard rotting, mold, and insects.
https://www.homedepot.com/c/ab/types-of-pressure-treated-wood/9ba683603be9fa5395fab9052c50759
You don't want to expose any pet to these chemicals, and sealing them can be tricky. Treated lumber is often left unfinished.

AFAIK, vinyl lattice is solid vinyl—not treated.

Great to know you had relatively good luck with any of those particular plants, sans the parasites. What a bummer! I recall trying a ficus in my first chameleon’s enclosure many, many moons ago. It.. did not go well. It was incredibly finicky and I swear it dropped leaves just to spite me for putting it in there with him (it wasn’t until after I learned that veiled chameleons tend to much on leaves that I took it out, and it shot up to 6 feet tall on the patio). I got a grow light and am hoping to have better luck this time around, but am thinking a schefflera may be the better way to go.
Ficus can be temperamental. They're also subject to drafts.
IMO it's best to research any plant candidates ahead of time so you know how to take care of them, and any potential problems to watch for.

The MistKing starter kit comes with this nozzle:
clips are from their site; I've circled the L fitting.
View attachment 304242
The additional nozzle I mentioned would be this:
View attachment 304243
This is the same nozzle—available separately—with a T fitting.
Hooking it up is relatively simple (Tinker Toy/Erector Set/Lego simple).
Tubing from the pump goes into one side of the T, and out the other side, and continues to the L on the other nozzle.

There are other ways of doing this; the double nozzle MissSkittles mentioned, and possibly others.

Then use plastic coated tomato cages or something like plastic coated goat wire (stainless steel is probably available, but usually quite expensive).

All that's needed to cut aluminum stock is a hacksaw. You probably have a friend, neighbor, or relative that has one.

Wood lattice and other wood items intended for outdoor use are treated with chemicals to retard rotting, mold, and insects.
https://www.homedepot.com/c/ab/types-of-pressure-treated-wood/9ba683603be9fa5395fab9052c50759
You don't want to expose any pet to these chemicals, and sealing them can be tricky. Treated lumber is often left unfinished.

AFAIK, vinyl lattice is solid vinyl—not treated.

Ficus can be temperamental. They're also subject to drafts.
IMO it's best to research any plant candidates ahead of time so you know how to take care of them, and any potential problems to watch for.
Thank you for the pictures! Reading info and suggestions is always helpful, but sometimes pictures with descriptions are better. I‘m really relieved to hear that putting together a MistKing will probably be more straightforward than I thought.

Not sure why I hadn’t considered coated tomato cages, but as it turns out that is a thing and does exist (lol). I definitely am not writing off the idea, but between coated goat wire, lattice and aluminum stock there are a lot of DIY options to explore. I definitely do have access to a hacksaw, so for today I’m back to exhausting aluminum stock as option #1.

Headed to Home Depot with quite a few idea. Thanks again!!

Back
Top Bottom